Author Topic: access to records in auckland nz  (Read 18100 times)

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:access to records in auckland nz
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 01:17 GMT (UK) »
dear teresa murray

i havent looked at a microfiche in 30 years and now i remember why!  i am seasick, lurching about like a drunk and getting funny looks in the office.

anyway, i searched the BMD index for sarah newman and sarah williams, from 1891 to 1901 and found various sarah anns but no sarah.  i can give you the folio numbers, but need to go back to the library after work and check 1902 first.  maybe she is in there.

will post a reply later today, xxv

Offline tess1957

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 08:11 GMT (UK) »
thanks valmai, its so kind of you to do this - dont make yourself ill gor goodness sake - i too am off to records office today to look up local newspapers on fiche so will probably have a good ol` migraine when i get home!!
thanks again teresa
Bigg-Newman-Williams-Latham-Ward-Green-Rouse-Huckstepp-

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valmai very much indeed  :D. & thank you for taking the time to look them up for me.

I'm not certain how I'm going to let you have my home address, I don't want to give it out on this site, for obvious reasons.  Do you have a scanner?  If so, you could send the scans as attachments to your reply to this message board (see the Attach: box below).  I don't know if it will work, but worth a try.  If not, then I'll have to think of another plan of action!!!

Thank you once again,

Jan Lloyd
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 19:05 GMT (UK) »
dear jan

margaret trow death notice scanned doc attached.

xxv

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 19:06 GMT (UK) »
dear jan

and thomas trow...

xxv

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 19:17 GMT (UK) »
dear teresa

i went up to 1905 and only found sarah-somethings in the BMD indexes.  some of the records are typed and some written in the most beautiful copperplate handwriting.

1891 williams, sarah ann, sarah elizabeth, sarah flora, sarah josephine.
1892 williams, sarah ann
1893 none
1894 none
1895 none
1896 williams, sarah ann
1897 williams, sarah ann (hagen); williams, sarah ann (waite)
1898 williams, sarah ann
1899 none
1900 none
1901 none
1902 williams, sarah amelia; williams, sarah jane
1903 williams, sarah ann
1904 williams, sarah ethel

what next?  where woould you like me to look?  does the horseback picture show the area she was in?

xxv

Offline valmai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 19:22 GMT (UK) »
dear jan

the trows are buried in waikumete cemetery presbyterian block E row 20 plot 67.  would you like a photo?  it would be interesting for me so feel free.

xxv

Offline tess1957

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 February 04 19:27 GMT (UK) »
hi valmai
so kind of you to do all that work - i dont know what to suggest really - the photo/postcard i have doesnt really give much of a clue- it must have been taken around 1902-1906 maybe so she would have been in her 40s-as a rider myself i can tell that she could actually ride a horse- she is riding astride and the horse has a bridle without a noseband so looks quite `western` compared with the `english` style.  the horse is standing on the edge of a river but i guess it could be anywhere in new zealand.  The onlt thing i could think was that she might have married a farmer-why else would she have learnt to ride?   Or maybe it was common for women to ride in those days??  I will get back to my cousin and try and get some more info and have some thoughts about where to go next.
thanks again for your help
Teresa
Bigg-Newman-Williams-Latham-Ward-Green-Rouse-Huckstepp-

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 February 04 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valmai

Thank you very much indeed for the attached scans  :D - you really are very kind.

I would love a photo of Waikumete Cemetery, but only if its no bother to you.   I hope you don't mind.

I really enjoy the New Zealand part of my research because I do have a particular interest in the country - would love to go there one day!!!  My best friend is from Auckland and moved over her in 1990 to marry her British husband.

Thank you

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand