Author Topic: CAMERON to New Zealand - more info added  (Read 18481 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAMERON to New Zealand - more info added
« on: Friday 17 March 06 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks!

I would be grateful for an info/ advice which enables me to find the following relatives

Annie CAMERON b 1819 Ross & Cromarty  Annie married (unk) FRASER and had daughters Margaret b 1860 and Jessie

Kenneth CAMERON b 1811 Kenneth married (unknown) and had children Alick, Rory, Kenneth and a daughter

Kate CAMERON b 25 Feb 1833 Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty Kate married (unk) SUTHERLAND and had Alick and Catherine

Went to Dunedin, NZ.  Set up a cafe called the Highland Welcome.  Moved on to Adelaide.

The dates of birth are approximate and the information was taken from a family tree made in the 1960s.  So far, it has proven quite accurate, but unfortunately it didn't include many dates!  Parents of the brother and sisters were Alexander CAMERON and Margaret (nee CAMERON).  - sorry, no idea whether marriages/children were in Scotland, NZ or OZ!

Can anyone tell me anything about how they got to New Zealand (and/or Adelaide) and what became of them?

Thanks in anticipation!

Arranroots  ;)

Modified: to include children & married names of the ladies
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON to New Zealand - more info added
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Thanks for the PM

Here is what I know of the family

Kenneth (born Rosskeen, Ross and Cromarty c1811 - 18??) = Unknown
Children Alick, Rory, Kenneth, daughter
Ken jr reputedly had 7 children
Family moved to Dunedin, then Adelaide

Kate (born Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty 25 Feb1833 - 1908) = SUTHERLAND
?Stayed in NZ
Children Catherine and Aleck SUTHERLAND
Her daughter Catherine SUTHERLAND = Hugh BROWN
William, Catherine, Margaret (b1898), Mary, Jessie BROWN
Margaret BROWN = Unk STOKES

Annie (c1819 - ) = FRASER
Children Margaret (1860 - 1939), Jessie
Moved to Dunedin and on to Adelaide
Margaret = Unknown MASON, children Lewis and dau
The daughter = Unk DASTINE
Lewis had 8 children

Looks as though the best bet is going to be for the death of Kate SUTHERLAND in New Zealand (if she did stay there!) or the births of the MASON children. 

Please do get better soon - these people will keep!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alfred & Elizabeth HUDSON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 06 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

i popped into the library.. to see what they had, as i am sure they would have more since i last went 15 yrs ago...lol

Its all on Fiche..

the earliest NZ electoral roll was 1868-69
dont have a lot of details on them.'
only names that was there
CAMERON, Alexander   of dunedin   house hold  Dowling st house

CAMERON, Alaxander   dunedin   freehold section  melville st, north
Dunedin section off kings st.

CAMERON, Duncan  dunedin  freehold section 4, b. 29 Dunedin.

No death of any of those names in 1848 - 1858

There is lots of Cameron's on passenger list, from 1852 -1860  they are from all over that area,  there is about 30 , so if you think that may be of help. alot of them have Cameron Mr...... so it would be a matter checking the passinger ship records. for each one.  the lib should have a machine to take a copy of the fiche.  so i could do that , bring it home and type it out to you,

Otago R C Marrages 1855 -1920
plus presbyterian marrages 1848 - 1920
Anglican marriages  1841 - 1920

if you think any of these are worth looking at, i can go back in, i only could find a half hour park, next time hopefully i can stay longer..

Good luck..

best wishes
Ann

Warwickshire: Husselbee, Willetts, Simpson, Hudson, Worwood, Weston, Moss
Worcester, Willetts
Cambridgeshire: Bartlam, Simpson, Graves, Radford.
Staffordshire: Weston, Bartlam, Worwood, Roberts
Wales: Roberts, (jones Ha Ha )
Lancashire and New foundland: Walmsley.
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.
New Zealand: O'Hanrahan, Walmsley, Trapani ,Lemon. Pascoe
Australia: NSW: Lemon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 06 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ann - naughty girl though, you should be home getting better!  ::) ;D

I found in my research yesterday what a popular place Dunedin was/is for the Scots - I wonder why my lot didn't like it, LOL?

Passenger lists sound to labour intensive to even ask you to look at: if I had some dates it might help.  Have a few Scotlandspeople credits left, so will see if I can narrow it down at all.

I don't know whether the Otago BMDs have been filmed by the IGI, but as I mentioned I haven't managed to find any events for this family online - hope I haven't missed anything obvious.

They would have been Presbyterian - along with the majority of Dunedin, no doubt.

If you fancy another visit (when you are fit!) I think the BMDs are most likely to produce a result.  Would there have been land claims for folk wanting to set up a cafe??

Many thanks again, Arranroots  ;)

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 06 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi A

Are you rolling your eyes at me,   :o     lol  starting to feel better, just a awful cough now.

I will go back in to the Lib , had to get a feel for what was there first, nothing really earlier than that.

the passenger list had all camerons together etc  for thoses years, so that makes it easier, its just if the only have a Mr .. and no name it doesnt help.

maybe someone will know, but  was there a port in Adelaide in the 1800's or did they go in to Melbourne ???

your second posting was easier to follow, so i will work off that.

yes love to know why they moved on to adelaide. there would have not been much there in those times..

My family did it the other way around, England, melbourne then auckland, to tauranga. (to  fight in the maori wars)

happy hunting

Best wishes
Ann

This is not going to be a 2 sec job....  :) might take a few visits...  so bare with me.

Worcester, Willetts
Ireland,Co Down, lemon: Co Mayo, Deane, Conway, Scanlan: Waterford, O'Hanrahan, Fitzgerald.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 06 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I am more than happy to wait, Ann - just as long as you are enjoying it!  If it gets too much, please say & I will start saving for my trip!!

Will post any other clues I come across on this thread - shouldn't take up much space!

;)

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »

Ive made up the spare bed for you, and we can travel down to Dunedin together, but not going down there in winter, hate the cold.

ann  :D
Worcester, Willetts

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 06 09:02 GMT (UK) »

:D :D 8) 8)

Offline Ann W

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi A

I so wanted to find something.  i looked and looked  for 1 1/2 hours.

this is where i looked

Birth 1840 - 54
Cameron   sarah     53 / 40  Otago
Cameron    male no name    49 / 132  Otago

No Frazer birth in otago

No sutherland birth in otago

No Presbyterian marriages
No RC
No Anglican   in otago

This is assisted Passenger list. from UK to NZ  1855 - 1860
( would they have come together?)  i couldnt match any while in the lib.

Sutherland
lincoln    1867
Mermaid  1865
Mersey    1862
Himalaya   1866
Blue jacket  1866
Victory     1865
British Empire   1864
Eastern Empire 1864
Creswell    1859
Tudor    1865
Matoaka    1861
roman Emperor    1860

Cameron
Merope   1870
Merope   1871
Cashmere  1855
Matoka      1860
Crysolite     1861     ( this was a duncan CAMERON)

Fraser
Caroline coventry  1869
John Temperley  1866
Cashmere 1859
Blue jacket    1866
Victoria     1861
Isabella Hercus  1855
Crysolite       1861
Eastern empire   1864

silly me wrote these  names down and didnt write what they were. gosh some of them had a such a lot of reading to do to work out how to understand the records.

1869     Kenneth Cameron      INV     1832  - 1852
3411         "              "             ROC     1811# 1858
3413      Kenneth Forbes Cameron      1856*  1858

I will go back in next week , and have another look.  so sorry..

Best wishes

Ann  :(

Worcester, Willetts