Author Topic: robert jones vc  (Read 32073 times)

Offline Sarahjane

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
robert jones vc
« on: Tuesday 05 October 04 19:17 BST (UK) »
robert jones vc was my great great grandfather his daughter edith emily jones was my great grandmother,but thats all i know about the family,if anyone knows any info about this family it would be great to know
Research names are  Tongue, East, Richardson and Jones

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: robert jones vc
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 21:00 BST (UK) »
This website gives the name of Robert JONES's wife, the number of children, his date of birth & place of residence:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/vc/jones.htm

Offline Jag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:27 BST (UK) »
I saved a Hereford Times article, dated Feb 21 1991, about him for some reason, and quote from some of it:

Robert Jones was a teenage hero of the Zulu War, fighting off the African hordes and suffering bullet and spear wounds.  Almost 20 years later a coroner's jury ruled that the Victoria Cross holder had taken his own life in a Herefordshire garden.  But was it suicide?  Still being fiercely defended in the Golden Valley village of Peterchurch today is the reputation for courage Jones earned on the dark continent.

Handed down from generation to generation has been the claim that Jones died in a tragic accident - a jolted gun succeeding where the warriors that were the pride of Zulu Chief Cetewayo had failed.

He won the VC in 1879 aged 19, he was of the 2nd Battalion 24 Foot, South Wales Borderers.

He died while employed by Mr De la Hay as a farm labourer. The vicar of the church, John de la Tour Davies has campaigned to have the suicide verdict quashed.  He claims that a vital piece of evidence was overlooked - Jones was carrying a box lock gun that could unintentionally be triggered if suddenly jarred.

He has a fine marble gravestone in Peterchurch, cared with devotion, and on Remembrance Sundays the Royal Legion lays a wreath at its foot.

[Wife's name Elizabeth].
Bearman (Bocking), Blackwell Harrison Hough Prentice (Gt.Tey), Clarke Colman Halls Harris Windall (Coggeshall), Fincham (Aldham) Johnson (Feering Coggeshall Mersea Is. & Braintree), Kemp Watson (Braintree), Millar (Gt/Lt Tey), Parmenter (Aldham Gt Tey Bures St Mary), Pudney Seabrook (Coggeshall); Wade-Smith (Coggeshall Mersea Is. Colne Engaine Braintree), Whybrew (Aldham Coggeshall).

Offline almeley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if this helps. I was a pupil at a  school in Kington in Herefordshire in the 1960's . The lad that I sat next to was someone called Michael Wilding who was from Vowchurch which is very near to Peterchurch. Michaels grandfather won a VC at the battle of Rorkes Drift ! The relationship was on his mothers side.I remember when Zulu first came out that he and his mother were featured in the Hereford Times and were given complimentary tickets. I havent seen Michael since school but I do know that he lives in Abergavenny . It may prove possible to contact him through the Friends Re-united website which is where I picked up where he is. Jones is obviously a common name  but the Peterchurch link is interesting.If you can trace the Hereford Times archive around the date the film was released it might confirm. There again it might have been someone else.   

Offline CEE-P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
It may sound strange, but I am also the G. G. granddaughter of Robert JONES VC. 

My G. Grandmother was Alice SMITH nee JONES.  We know quite a lot about Robert JONES as Alice was interested in what was happening and spoke in great detail about things.  There are a number of relations living in our area who could also help you. Please contact me if you want any information.

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
robert jones vc was my great great grandfather his daughter edith emily jones was my great grandmother,but thats all i know about the family,if anyone knows any info about this family it would be great to know
Robert Jones VC was my Great grandfather. His daughter Lily Rose Griffiths (Nee Jones) was my Grandmother. My father was William Frederick Griffiths, son of Lily Rose Griffiths. Everything you need to know is on WIKI. Just type in Robert Jones VC and click on Wiki.
Looking for info about my Great Grandfather Pte Robert Jones who won the VC in 1879 in the Zulu War. I have all the info about him which is on the Net but I would like to know who sold his VC in 1996. Did his VC go out of the family or if it was a family member who inherited it, why did they let it go. It is so sad that it left the family. Also more info about his death in 1898, was it an accident or suicide? Hard to believe he killed himself when my Grandma Rose was only 8 and 4 others under 12

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Robert Jones VC was my Great Grandfather. His daughter Lily Rose Griffiths (nee Jones) was my Grandmother. Her son, William Frederick Griffiths was my father. Type in Robert Jones VC and everything you need to know about him will come up, esp on Wiki...Regards,  David Griffiths.
Looking for info about my Great Grandfather Pte Robert Jones who won the VC in 1879 in the Zulu War. I have all the info about him which is on the Net but I would like to know who sold his VC in 1996. Did his VC go out of the family or if it was a family member who inherited it, why did they let it go. It is so sad that it left the family. Also more info about his death in 1898, was it an accident or suicide? Hard to believe he killed himself when my Grandma Rose was only 8 and 4 others under 12

Offline Chris griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 12 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert jones Was also my great great grandfather and lily rose my great grandmother. I have always wanted to know my family tree and looking at this today has opened up some doors. I come from Tredegar but now live in England and can't find much about the history here. I'm amazed to find something like this.

Offline David Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris. It sounds as though we are closely related. My Grandma, Lillian Rose Griffiths, who was the daughter of Pte R Jones VC had five children...My father Fred...My uncle Dai, My auntie Dorothy, My auntie Pat and my auntie Glennis. Now, I see that you carry the Griffiths surname so I guess that uncle Dai is your Grandad and your father is my first cousin. Uncle Dai married Auntie Anne in the fifties...Auntie Dorothy married Uncle Jack Edwards, Auntie Pat married Uncle Phil and I dont know about Auntie Glennis. They all lived in Sirhowy with Grandma Rose and Grandad Donald Griffiths. Uncle Dai lived with us in the early fifties when we lived in Carlton near Barnsley and used to visit my Auntie Anne in Lancashire before they were married.