Author Topic: SDGW Dudley Clifton  (Read 5569 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SDGW Dudley Clifton
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 02:46 GMT (UK) »
well joe,it looks like andy wasnt much help and he missed a comma out in page 3 ;D ;D ;D
ANDY,thats an awesome piece of info,you certainly know your stuff mate,no need for joe to go anywhere else for info,its all here,marvelous stuff,regards mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thanks a million.....I can't believe the amount of information that you have come up with......if I may use an expression that I hate.....I'm gobsmacked !!!

I got a book out of my local library called "1918 The Last Act"..........I am lost for words......The sheer hell doesn't bear thinking about, and to think that it happened again in 1939 !!

Once again, Thanks Andy and all who helped.

Joe
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Joe,
You are more than welcome, I am always glad to be able to help someone who has a relative in the Rifle Brigade with the knowledge I have. I hope that your wife is happy with the details on her cousin after so long a period in time. A copy of his records will be posted out to you today or tomorrow.
Would you object if I used the great photograph of Dudley for my database which I intend putting online in the not so distant future, well this decade maybe if it all pans out?. If that is acceptable to you could I ask you to e mail me the full size copy.

Mack,
Many thanks, greatly appreciated, the interest in the Rifle Brigade started for various reasons, firstly their History as first on the battlefield as skirmishers in front of the Redcoats and last off the battlefield. Being asked by Nelson to serve on his ships as sharpshooters during a naval battle, Copenhagen, Colonel Stewart was a personal friend of Nelson's. Then the 14th & 15th Battalion were formed in my home town during WW1 and turned out against the local populace when they rioted after one of the first Zeppelin attacks in May 1915, when the Zeppelins were trying to find there way to London. They refused to bear arms against the population as quite a few were from the town, caused quite a furror locally.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thanks again !!!!

My wife Lyn is over the moon about all that you have uncovered......but she finds it very distressing to talk about the details of the day-to-day hell the lads went through.

Although he was Lyn's cousin, soon after I started trying to build her family history I realised that here was someone that I wanted to get to know more about....sounds mushy doesn't it?

You certainly can use the photograph....I will e-mail a good copy.....and when I find the other photographs I will let you have those as well.

Joe
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Joe,
Many thanks as good images of these chaps are hard to come by were we know definetely who they are. Received the full size version and if you dig anymore up they would be appreciated and used well.
A copy of Dudley's service record was posted to you late today.
Thank you again and hopefully with the details I have been able to give, you will get to know Dudley a little more.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.