Author Topic: Glencrosh Farm  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Lilias in B.C.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Glencrosh Farm
« on: Tuesday 05 October 04 21:10 BST (UK) »
  Hi All: I am new to RootsChat. This is my first time.

I am looking for ANY information on the Gibsons of Glencrosh farm or Estate in Glencairn parish.   The Gibsons were proprietors there, from the mid - 1600's -- about  1850.

There were a LOT of Johns, some Alexanders, and other names.  Any information about the Farm or any members of those Gibson families would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.                 Lilias in B.C.

Offline SLaurie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Glencrosh Farm
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:03 BST (UK) »

I am looking for ANY information on the Gibsons of Glencrosh farm or Estate in Glencairn parish.   The Gibsons were proprietors there, from the mid - 1600's -- about  1850.

Hi Lilias,

In 1841, the Glencrosh farm was occupied by the family of farmer Robert McMILLAN, who was also of independent means.  He was born outside of DFS, circa 1795.

There were no Gibsons present at Glencrosh for either the 1841 or the 1851 censuses of Glencairn.  Let me know if you'd like the names of the other occupants (most notably the McMillan family) during 1841.

Cheers,

Shane

in Dumfriesshire: Laurie, Coulthard, Story
in Kirkcudbrightshire: Edwards, Mills, Pagan
in Banffshire & Kincardine: Lawson
in St. Ninians, Stirling: Rattray
in Down, Ireland: Cotter, Morton, McCullough 
in Somerset: Barnett, Cobbett, Guppy
in London, Middlesex (Marylebone): Packer
in West Prussia & Canada: Kusch, Pershick

Offline OzScot11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilias,

I too had relatives who lived and worked at Glencrosh farm in the mid 1800s but I did not see any Gibsons listed on the Census docs I was looking at. However, I have come across some Gibsons living at a place called Auchenigibbert (now called Auchengibbert) farm near Crocketford in Dumfries, approx. 7 km away from Glencrosh as the crow flies.
By chance there is a John (28), Margaret (28), Jean (80, William (5) and John (2) Gibson living at Auchenigibbert farm, Tynron, Dumfries in the 1841 Census. The record is found at Scotlandspeople.gov.uk
I hope these are the Gibsons you are after :)
Clair

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 16 03:41 BST (UK) »
Lillias,

Glencrosh was one of 20 principal farms of Ingleston held by the Laird of Ingleston and who he is depends on the era.  Properties changed hands frequently.  I do have a copy of the 1790 Directory of Land Ownership and it appears John Grierson of Urr is the current Laird and a Mr. James Crack is noted as the previous owner.

I did see one John Gibson, the younger of Ingleston who was a Covenanter and killed in 1680 along with John Gibson of Auchencheyne and a Robert Grierson of Glencrosh. 

A Gibson did own Glencrosh post 1800 and a Mrs. Gibson owned it in 1855 but it was occupied by Robert McMillan of Holms and as I see no Gibson on the fam in 1841 I suspect she lived elsewhere.

Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have a couple of Wills you might be interested in, its a free search.

GIBSON ALEXANDER 25/02/1852 ESQUIRE OF GLENCROSH RESIDING AT GILCHRISTLAND   DUMFRIES SHERIFF COURT SC15/41/9

GIBSON JOHN 30/09/1819 RESIDING IN GLENCROSH   DUMFRIES SHERIFF COURT

Glencrosh and Auchencheyne are on the A702 SW of Moniaive.  Glencrosh Farm is behind Gelcrosh Cottage which is adjacent to the road if you are into Google Maps. 

For a period map try this http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400172
At the very bottom in the yellow. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.