Author Topic: GULLON - Spanish ?  (Read 10353 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GULLON - Spanish ?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 May 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
Well it seems that Gullon is definitely a Scottish name. My husband will be disappointed ha ha. He's just a romantic at heart ;D
I too had found evidence of Gullons in Orkney. The one thing that has always intrigued me is how few of us there are in the world. The vast majority are in Europe, France and Spain.
I also found a town called Gullon in Sweden I think ?
Anyway I think it's a lovely unusual name and I'm very happy to have received it through marriage.
Thanks for all your posts  :)
Mary

If it's any consolation to your husband, recent DNA research indicates that a lot of Scots are descended from ancestors who came to Scotland from Iberia, via the Atlantic coastline, in prehistoric times. So he may have a distant blood link to some modern Spaniards!

Harry

Offline F. de Jondt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Óscar Gullón. I am from Spain, and i live in a town called Ferreras. There are documents that confirms tgat the surname Gullon it has been where I live since the 17th century.

I believe the surname Gullon comes from a French town called Gullon, and maybe it comes from the ancient germanic name "Wilhelm".

Also I think that the surname arrived in Spain when "La Reconquista", a war where the christians fought against the arabics, who invaded the peninsula in the year 711.

maybe it was around the 12th or 13th century, when no one wanted to be in the borders of the arabics, and the kingdom of Castilla sold a lot of counties so a lot of English and French people came here. I think that a french person came from the town of Gullon, so he adoptated that surname.
Also, where I am, it was a bordier between christians and muslims from a long time.

I hope i've helped you, bye

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 August 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Oscar

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

That is really interesting background on the possible origin of the surname.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk