Author Topic: Going nuts!  (Read 1468 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Going nuts!
« on: Wednesday 06 October 04 09:22 BST (UK) »
 >:(

Sometimes there are people in ones family tree that seem to resist all efforts of being traced down! I now have searched for years (and I mean, years!) for my great-grandfather, but despite him even being somewhat of a historical figure - according to a cousin of my grandfather he invented some type of breech loading device- there is no trace to be found...

Of course, being a "computer genealogist" without any funds and having a father who, well, is "incommunicado" doesn't help matters...

Does anybody know if there maybe is some sourt of source where historical inventions can be found? Or other means to an end?

The only info I have is that he was a navy man (I did find him in the 1881 census) and according to both the census and the family he was born in Wolverhampton...
But a kind person of the local Wolverhampton registry looked for him and...well, you guessed it....nothing!

Arrrrghhhhh!  Now what?! I'm running out of options here. Anybody???
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Going nuts!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 09:42 BST (UK) »
First thought, as always, Google. Have you tried that route yet ? already ?

"historical inventions" brings up 689 hits
"historical invention" brings up 3,800 hits
"breach loading" brings up 109,000 hits.

"breach loading device" brings up 30 hits, including 2 "trying to find ..." Is that you or a kindred spirit ?

Not knowing any names, I didn't go any further, but if need to kill a rainy afternoon sometime ...

Hope you get lucky
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi B-B.

First of all, I have googled and googled until I developed severe cramp in my fingers...trust me!  :-[

And the 2 hits on "trying to find..." are probably mine if either the name Haycock or Milo/Steinhorst popped up.

The person in question is George Haycock, supposedly born 1863 Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. In 1881 listed as "navy man" on board the HMS Carrysford, married 1888 to Frances/Francis Prince in Toxteth Park, Liverpool.
In the 1901 census the family supposedly lived in Kirkdale and George is listed as a "dock labourer" which would confirm his ties with the Navy.
I did find several names of possible children, but none of them seem to tie back to grandparents.

As my biological father wants nothing to do with me it is very hard going tracing down all facts. A kind relative gave me loads of information, but unfortunately most  was lost when I divorced and subsequently moved.

Basically I am stuck with all my gr-grandparents, although I seem to be getting close on finding the parents of one pair.

If the rain falling down here now is kind enough to move westwards.... ;D

Thanks for the response and suggestions.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi TreeDigger,

I then tried Copernic Agent" search engine with "breech loading haycock":

Do you know a Professor Ron Haycock ??:
http://cwrtkingston.phpwebhosting.com/News-Current.htm

or: http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/Bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/weapons/indiv/rifles.doc

it also turned up a 9 year old Annie Haycock on the 1891 census, visiting in Aston.

If you haven't got Copernicus, try http://vivisimo.com/, that brought up roughly the same results as Copernicus.

Good Luck ! and as long as the rain goes west, and not east, I don't mind !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again  ;D

I will continue looking. The Annie is no relative I think but I will check her out nonetheless.

And as I am currently located in The Netherlands, rain moving westward would probably make your hair wet. But I don't mind  ;)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 10:35 BST (UK) »
I hope you have better luck finding your relatives, than with geography !

I am in Berlin, about 600 Km. eastwards  ;D

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 11:07 BST (UK) »
Uh oh, having a duuuhhh-moment I guess. Maybe the "Berlin-Bob" bit should have rung a bell  :(

Huge city btw, been there in 1986, travelling down the iron corridor with all the nasty looking doggies, armed guards, etc. It's 614 km. from my house.

Guess I need to tap into my Native American ancestry and send the rainclouds the other way  ;D