Author Topic: NETTERFIELD, CAMPBELL in Belturbet, Annagh  (Read 15815 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NETTERFIELD, CAMPBELL in Belturbet, Annagh
« on: Monday 20 March 06 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Searching for these surnames pre 1830 in Belturbet. Emigrated to Canada c. 1824. Any info. appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NETTERFIELD, CAMPBELL in Belturbet, Annagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 08 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello lanarman,

What denomination were your Campbell and Netterfield ancestors? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or possibly Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher:
Thanks for responding.  The Campbells and Netterfields were members of the Church of England. John Campbell born c. 1788 in Belturbet. His wife Mary Netterfield, daughter of Isaac Netterfield from Templeport, Ballyconnel, Co. Cavan. She may have been born in Redhills, near Belturbet.  Emigrated to Canada c. 1824.
Do you suppose that Anglican church records exist for this area of Co. Cavan and if so, do you know where I could write to to get copies of birth registrations?

Thanks again
Michael (lanarman)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

A Church of Ireland page on Parish Records - Earliest Dates shows Cavan - Annagh (Belturbet) - 1801 http://irelandgenealogyprojects.rootsweb.com/Old/coirecs.html
There's no mention of the location of the records but the site has a link to the Church of Ireland and the RCB Library who should be able to tell you where the records are located.

Christopher

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Good day Christopher:
Thanks for sending me the link to the Church of Ireland. If I interpret the website info. correctly, the BMD's for Annagh, Belturbet, Co. Cavan after 1801 are also located at PRONI.  Since I also have Ballymena, Co. Antrim ancestors (BMD's and a ships list in 1852 for the PAUL family to Canada are required), a letter to PRONI might solve all my genealogy problems at once!
Thanks again,
Sincerely,
Michael

Offline grandmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have researched the Netterfield in Canada. Would love to share my information. Donna

Offline coloneldoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I,m new to this avenue of exploration so I have no idea if I,m following the proper procedure. My name is Douglas Campbell and I live in Brockville Ontario, Leeds County in Eastern Ontario along gthe north shore of the St. Lawrence River. I have traced my Campbell roots through John Campbell (m Mary Netterfield) from James Campbell who came to Belturbet in 1690 with (or shortly after the arrival of) William of Orange. There is also, I believe, a brother George who came with him. I'm not sure if I have the line of succession exactly right but some 134 years later my G-G Grandfather John Campbell and his wife Mary Netterfield left Belturbet and came directly to what is now Bastard Township in Leeds County in the Province of Ontario.I have identified three lots which they occupied before settling on the one that is to this day occupied by their descendants.                     

With respect to the Netterfields I have names but no clear idea of relationships. Where exactly does Mary fit in ? What of preceeding generations. I know the family became quite well of and some of them at least moved to Dublin as the century progressed. Some also arrived in Bastard Township I think in 1846. I have a suspicion that they may have been a quite interesting bunch.  It is apparent also that as immigration continued some of the Campbell and Netterfield clans moved on from Bastard to newly open farmlands around Wingham in southwestern Ontario in the 1840s/50s.

I have more detailed information  so if we establish contact perhaps we can share.

Doug Campbell

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline grandmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have information on the Netterfield's in Canada. Would love to hear back from you and am willing to share what info I have. Donna

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
INCUMBERED ESTATES COURT.

In the Matter of the
ESTATE OF WILLIAM JAMES THOMAS GALBRAITH,
Owner;
Exparte
MORGAN CROFTON,
Petitioner

Whereas, Moses NETTERFIELD, late of Ballyconnell, in the county of Cavan, gentleman, obtained a Judgment against Morgan GALBRAITH, described in said Judgment as of the City of Dublin, Esq., but otherwise resident at Macken, in the County of Cavan, in or as of Easter Term, 1829, for the principal sum of £1,000, which was confessed to said Moses NETTERFIELD, as a Trustee to secure certain debts charged upon MACKEN and other LANDS, purchased in the cause of ARMSTRONG v. FARIS and others, in the year 1827, and in respect of which Judgment there is now invested in Government Three-and-a-Quarter per Cent. Stock, the Sum of £472 14s. 8d., transferred to the separate credit of Moses NETTERFIELD, in this matter, TAKE NOTICE, that all persons having claims upon said Judgment are hereby required, under an order of the Chief Commissioner, bearing date the 1st day of February instant, to come in and shew their rights thereto by statement or affidavit, to be lodged in the General Clerk's office, on or before the 31st day of March next, and proceed to prove the same; and TAKE NOTICE, that in default there, the claims of all parties upon said Judgment will be barred, and the said sum of £472 14s 8d. will be paid out without regard to said Judgment.

Dated this 13th day of February, 1854.
HENRY CAREY, Secretary
ROBERT JONES FOX, Solicitor for Petitioner,
having the Carriage of Proceedings,
91, Stephen's-green, Dublin

---------------------------------------------------------

MARRIED.

May 10 1856, at St. Thomas's Church, by the Rev. Theobald BUTLER, Moses, second son of Moses NETTERFIELD, Esq. of Ballyconnell, in ths county, to Miss Catherine LYNG, of Gloucester-street, Dublin, heiress of the late Miss Charlotte HINDS.

Moderator Note: content re-instated

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.