Author Topic: NETTERFIELD, CAMPBELL in Belturbet, Annagh  (Read 15796 times)

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NETTERFIELD, CAMPBELL in Belturbet, Annagh
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Doug

I have sent you a Personal Message but I now realise that you may not yet be able to receive them. So here is tn updated version of the main part, in case you - or any other participants in this discussion - can provide any further information:

I think my 3G-grandfather was James Campbell born in Co Cavan around 1800. I saw that one of the postings mentioned his wife as being called Anna. My family's recollections mention an Anna (though on the other side of the family, but I think have now dis-proven that!) and that Anna was German and a Ladies' Maid. I know there was a James Campbell with a wife Anna (or Anne) living in Belturbet. I would really like to discover whether this was in fact the German Ladies' Maid, and to fill in various gaps in my research!

Paul

Offline coloneldoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Donna,

I would love to contact you. I have info re the Campbells and Netterfields that I would love to share. Unfortunately the intricacies of the system are beyond me. When I try to include my email I get a gentle whack on the fingers saying i should contact you by other means or something like that.

Can you help.

Doug

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
The Personal Message (PM) system is quite easy to use and the link explaining it has been posted several times for you-

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Just click on the little green scroll under the username of the person you wish to contact, type your message in the box that appears then click on 'send message' button.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 July 16 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Doug

I have sent you a Personal Message but I now realise that you may not yet be able to receive them. So here is tn updated version of the main part, in case you - or any other participants in this discussion - can provide any further information:

I think my 3G-grandfather was James Campbell born in Co Cavan around 1800. I saw that one of the postings mentioned his wife as being called Anna. My family's recollections mention an Anna (though on the other side of the family, but I think have now dis-proven that!) and that Anna was German and a Ladies' Maid. I know there was a James Campbell with a wife Anna (or Anne) living in Belturbet. I would really like to discover whether this was in fact the German Ladies' Maid, and to fill in various gaps in my research!

Paul

Hi Paul:
Hope you are still on the boards- just wondering if you ever solved your Campbell in Belturbet mystery? I am descended from the John Campbell-Mary Netterfield family from the Belturbet area and was also trying to contact Col. Doug. Just found out he passed away last year. I believe that 1822 or 1823 was the year that my Campbells emigrated to Canada. Also trying to connect with the Shane McGovern gentleman who has the history of Belturbet but now lives in Canada. Lanarman

Offline pollux83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 July 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lanarman

Yes, I'm still on the boards! (Sounds like I'm an old-time variety hall player!)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to progress my Belturbet enquiries any further - I have not been able to find any records that might help, although I understand that the Johnston Library in Cavan might have relevant information. I just haven't had the opportunity to get over there (I live in France).

Sorry to learn about Col. Doug. If I remember rightly, his sister was looking after family history material at the Johnston Library (though I could be wrong about that!), though I don't see any specific mention on the library site. Could be worth checking with the library though.

I'm afraid I can't help you regarding Shane McGovern either. The site he had created (belturbet.org) now appears to be defunct and a quick Google didn't reveal anything useful. The last contact (e-mail) I had with both Shane and Doug was back in 2012.

I wish you success with your research nonetheless!

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 July 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul: That was fast! Thanks for replying. I'm not much further ahead in my research, either. It was Shane McGovern's sister that worked at the Cavan Library. Col. Doug was a distant cousin to my wife and he and I corresponded many years ago.

I note in the Irish Tithe Applotment documents a James Campbell in Annagh in 1825 and again in nearby Killashandra in 1832. Lord Gosford was the landlord. You can see the original scanned images online at Family Search.

It's highly possible that James was a brother or cousin of John. And somehere I saw reference to a Gustavus Campbell (or Netterfield) so thats a strange combination of German-Irish and he may relate to your German born Anna. ?  I will see if I can find that reference and get back to you.

Best regards,
Lanarman

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 July 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
Paul:  Found this in my notes and confirmed it on the Public Record Office (PRONI) website:

Gustavus Campbell. Kilmore Diocesean Wills, Cavan. Will 1823.  Probated 1825. The original documents do not exist.

L.