Author Topic: Asclette & Chapelhow  (Read 2103 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Asclette & Chapelhow
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering whether anyone could trace either of these two families in 1841 in Shap or the surrounding area of Rosgill or Swindale both in the Parish of Shap.
I was in particular looking for Charles Asclette DOB 1811/12 and Margaret Chapelhow DOB 1815. They married in 1845 but may of been living with their families in 1841.  Margaret's father was Joseph Brown and Charles's father was Thomas Asclette.
Thankyou

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Asclette & Chapelhow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Are we to assume that Margaret was a widow when she married if her father's name was Brown?   Do you have a census reference you can give to help someone find them?
Asclette is a very unusual name.  I could not find a single reference to it in the census records I looked at.  Can you quote the full details from the marriage certificate?
Andrea

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for looking for me.  Unfortunately, I don't have the marriage certificate, just the details from the Parish Church Records.
It may be possible that Margaret had been previously married, she had a daughter, also Margaret, in 1841 in Bampton near Shap, four years before her marriage to Charles.
On the 1851 census they have moved to Dawden, Co Durham and are using the surname, Aslett as opposed to Asclette, and Charles states that he was born in Stockbridge, Kent!
He was working as an excavater (possibly in quarry workings near Rosgill, Shap at the time of his marriage and Margaret in Swindale.
Charles dies between 1861 & 1871, he is recorded as deceased on his daughter, Elizabeth's (my great, great grandmother), wedding certificate in 1869 and Margaret's eldest daughter (Margaret) then starts using her mother's previous surname of Chapelhow although she spells it Chapplow.  Very confusing, but may prove that Margaret Snr had been married previous to her marriage to Charles.
Is this any help?
Sue

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
I have found some more information that maybe useful.  Margaret had been married before, she married a James Chapelhorn (another spelling of Chapelhow and Chapplow!) in Bampton on 11th July 1835, her maiden WAS Brown and her parents were Joseph and Ann.  She had a brother, also Joseph, born in 1817 in Shap.
Hope this may help you trace them in 1841,
Many thanks
Sue

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 1841 for that particular area.   You can order the film yourself and search it at your nearest LDS centre though.  They are worldwide and listed on familysearch.org   Also it is possible to search the full BMD index free on ancestry.co.uk at the moment.  Choose the Beta version.  That should enable you to flesh out your tree quite nicely by confirming births and deaths.
Andrea

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying Andrea, I take a look at Ancestry
Sue

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 06 09:58 BST (UK) »

Swindale Shap 41 census
Ann Brown 65 widow
Margaret Chapelhow 25 widow
Ann Chapelhow 5
Margaret Chapelhow 6mths
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 06 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that 1841 census info, it's been a great help!
Sue