Author Topic: Look up - Abertillery Electoral Rolls  (Read 1970 times)

Offline salt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Look up - Abertillery Electoral Rolls
« on: Tuesday 21 March 06 16:46 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is able to check the Gwent electoral rolls held in the Cwmbran Record Office I'd be grateful to know how long after 1893 Alfred Wooles and family were living at 2 Hill St, Abertillery.
BRE: Price, Williams
CMN: Lewis, Smith, Coslet, Morris
GLA: Glasbrook, Lewis (of Gorseinon)
GLS: Wooles, Phelps, Beard, Broadstock, Burgum, Prothero
HUN: Bird, Chester, Dunmore, King, Read
MON: Wooles
ERY: Smith, Bell, Woolf, Sutton
USA (Utah): Read (Smithfield), Lewis (Goshen); Kansas: Lewis
AUST (Victoria): Lewis

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up - Abertillery Electoral Rolls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
I would also like the Abertillery electoral Rolls looked up to see where a Mrs Edith May Jones lived during the 1940's with her son, mother and stepfather.  Edith was separated from her husband Ernest.  I think the address could be Gladstone Street but I'm not that sure.  What I do know is that their immediate neighbour was a family who ran a funeral business.

I have just received the marriage cert of Ernest and Edith in 1929 and on it it gives Ediths fathers name as Idris Thomas, deceased (Idris was her stepfather, her real father William Williams died when she was a small child).
The problem I have now is that Ediths son Derek (my ex-husband) told me that he lived with his grandparents and could remember his grandfather dying, which means his grandmother must have married a third time.  I dont know this third husbands name which hopefully will be on the electoral rolls.

TessieWessie

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look up - Nantyglo/Aberystruth
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
After much research I have realised that info given to me and info I followed wasn't quite correct.

My Mother-In-Law Edith May Thomas B.1909 now deceased, was the daughter of Maud Marie (sometimes Marie Maud) Williams b.1885 in Nantyglo who married and Idris(Edris) Thomas b.1882 in Crickhowell in 1906.  On the 1911 census Maud Marie is back living with her Williams family in Aberystruth and Idris Thomas is living with his parents.  My M-I-L Edith May Thomas is with her mother and the Williams grandparents age 1.

M-I-L told me that her father was killed after falling down a mountain drunk when she was a baby or very young, so, I have looked for a young accidental death of an Idris (Edris) Thomas from 1911 to 1920 and nothing comes up.  I now wonder whether the falling down a mountain story was a way of stopping a child from asking about her father rather than saying they were divorced.  Is there any way a Divorce record can be looked up, or indeed a burial of an Edris Thomas between the years 1911 - 1920 in local records.

Offline Seztratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Look up - Abertillery Electoral Rolls
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 12:17 BST (UK) »
There are no deaths of an Idris or edris in that timeframe that would fit the age group.  Any idea of his date of birth?  There is a death in 1922 aged 31 would that be him?