Author Topic: KNEALE family  (Read 32111 times)

Offline OrryKneale

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KNEALE family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 January 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name as you can see is Orry Kneale my family heritage from the isle of man goes back too one of the last kings of the isle of man back in the 9th century when the vikings ruled the island to to that point there are also ships that share the same first name with me because of that because one of the last kings of the island was in fact called orry kneale III i am in-fact as far as we can tell orry kneale  XII so my heritage goes back a very long way my father Howard orry kneale was the son of William orry kneale who was also a builder Kim if you did have a younger or older brother called Howard please let me know as i have three aunts but never met them.

best wishes to all
Orry Kneale.

Offline Kim Pearce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 January 14 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Only one brother, not named Howard.  Sorry.

Offline kdemunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 May 16 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am a newby at this so please excuse my ignorance! My heritage has been researched back to Edmund Kneale son of Edmund Kneale and Esther Garrett christened in Ramsay April 16th 1822. I have found him on the 1841 census and believe the children at least (Edmund 15 Matthias 10, Robert 8 Edward 6 and Esther 5.) travelled to Ballarat, Australia (where I live). Does anyone else have any links to this family or have suggestions as to where to go next?? My family are visiting Isle of Man late June, early July and would love to visit something, somewhere but just don't know where!! Thank you

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 May 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Kaighin's Court must have been one of the small blocks of houses off Strand street in Ramsey but can't find it marked on the 1868 O/S plan and names doesn't appear in any directory- nothing is left of this area as it was totally removed both by development of the Shore Rd in late 19th Cenury then by slum clearance of most of old Ramsey in the 1960s

I suspect mother Esther Kneale as Garret is buried age 48 Lezayre 18431112 (certainly can't find her or family in 1851 census) - burial in Lezayre is somewhat strange as that part of Ramsey was in Maughold
I suspect Edmund may also be buried in Lezayre  18440523 age 63 (tho this doesn't quite match age on census but large differences in ages between husb + wife were often 'adjusted'
If these are they then Edmund looks to be son of John Kneale and Catherine als Kneale bapt Lez 17811104 (this may explain burial in Lezayre) with Esther dau of Wm Garret + Esther Christian bapt Ram 17931023

If they emigrated prior to 1851 then this is fairly early for Manx Emigration to Australia - have you found them on an immigration record?

What to see ? it is possible that there is a grave marker (Memorial Inscription) in Lezayre - big yard check with library in Manx Museum (open Tues-Sat 10am - 5pm) as they have transcriptions of all yards + plans
but they don't appear to be well off and there may not have been enough money to pay for a stone
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline kdemunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 22 May 16 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for such a prompt reply!  I have been told that in February 1853, Edward James Kneale, the 5th of 9 children to Edmund and Esther, together with one of his brothers William, arrived in Melbourne from the Isle of Man aboard the ship Una. Robert William had left prior in 1851. WE have no records of the parents Edmund and Esther.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Are their parents named (+ professions/whether deceased etc) in any marriages of Edward etc in Australia ?
Catch is that Kneal(e) (+ Neil Neal etc in earlier periods) name is fairly common and Edmond/Edmund is also fairly common in the Maughold/Lezayre/Ramsey area - also the common abbreviation Edmd is very easily misread for Edwd (Edward)

There is an 83yr old Esther Garrett (gmother?) buried in Ramsey on 10 Nov 1846 (actually Ballure - look up on my website www.manxnotebook.com) but I can't find her in 1841 census - Ballure was somewhat of a strange yard usually used for burials of infants and strangers. Possibly she had no family left on Island - maybe the children had gone to England to obtain work prior to emigration as I can't immediate spot them in the 1851 IoM census

There would be no direct sailing from IoM (apart from two Manx built special vessels - eg read about the Vixen of Peel) - the usual emigration port for Australia would be London (not sure re Liverpool which was the usual port of emigration of Manx to USA/Canada) - young men were attracted in 1851 by the gold rush tho most made little if any money
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline kdemunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 May 16 00:09 BST (UK) »
Yes further search finds Edmond (here I find a different spelling??) was baptised 5/7/1796 in Lezyare and married Esther (from Ramsay) in 1816. Occupation carpenter. Believe he was the son of Ewan Kneale and Margaret Knickell. Una sailed from Liverpool apparently, apologies for previous comment re IOM. I am yet to find passenger lists but believe there were many deaths on board. It is indeed where Edmund and Esther ended up that has resulted in nothing. Many many thanks again!