Author Topic: FERRIER of Angus  (Read 71747 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: FERRIER of Angus
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 09 November 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 21 November 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Just realised I hadn't responded. Thanks Monica. It's amazing what one little article can do. I have now found census and information for Michael Ferrier and his parents. Plus loads of newspaper articles about him. Seems he was quite prominent (though need time to ensure all the articles are relevant and the right Michael Ferrier. I'm so excited!
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 21 November 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Happy you are excited  ;D That is what it is all about, to drive you on your research!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 23 November 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Forgot to mention where my Ferrier's are from! Peter Ferrier was born in 1838 in Blairgowrie, Perthshire, however there is no baptism record for him. He appears in the 1841 census living with his mother in Rattray, sadly no mention of James. His mother appears as "Euphemia Cameron" rather than "Euphemia Ferrier" in 1841 census, she was born in 1798 in Kirkmichael, Perthshire. What seems strange Euphemia would of been 40 when Peter was born, which for that time was quite late on for a woman to be having children. As for James I haven't found him in 1841,51,61 or 71 censuses which makes me think he either died between 1838-1841, or he was living away from Scotland e.g. England. 
Allan I will PM you my email and send you an attachment of my research.

Happy hunting everybody!

Darren

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 08 June 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Bumping this now ancient thread.

I am also a descendent of the Ferriers.

My 6x Great Grandparents were John Ferrier and Christian Young, who were married in 1777 at Kingsbarns in Fife. They had two children that I am aware of:

1. Janet Ferrier (Born 1779 Kingsbarns, St Andrews and St Leonards Parish, Fife. Died between 1851-1857, probably in Dundee. Married Thomas Buist in 1800.)

2. David Ferrier. (Born 1784 St Andrews and St Leonards Parish, Fife. Died 1863 Boarhills, St Andrews, Fife. Married Barbara Leslie in 1810)

If anyone is connected to these people then please get in touch.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 11 June 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi CaileanMac

My original posting to this thread is on page 7
« Reply #55 on: 28 July 2010, 02:34:12 »

I wrote about my 2xGt Grandmother Agnes 'Nancy' FERRIER - she has a connection to the Boarhills FERRIER - and I do suspect David FERRIER & Barbara LESLIE are her paternal grandparents, but I can't prove it. She was illegitimate:

Her baptism 1830 in Kingsbarns:
12 October 1830, Agnes FERRIER, natural daughter of John FERRIER, Wright, Boarhills and of Agnes TURPIE daughter of the late John TURPIE Wright in Kingsbarns baptized..

Her marriage 1857 in Kingsbarns (to Alexander LATTO), makes it clear her parents were not married, as their marital status' were noted:
Agnes FERRIER 26, Spinster, House Servant, of Kingsbarns in the Parish of Kingsbarns
Parents: John FERRIER, Bachelor, Wright and Nancy TURPIE, Spinster

Agnes 'Nancy TURPIE' was born 1796 - she was shown as age 40 in 1841 Census and age 57 in the 1851 Census, and age 60 at death in 1857.

David FERRIER shoemaker of Boarhills and his wife  and  Barbara LESLIE had a son John b  1812 Boarhills, baptised in St Andrews.  This makes him a bit younger that my Agnes TURPIE but I still think he could be the father of Agnes' daughter, Agnes FERRIER? A bit of a fling between a younger man and an older woman perhaps... and  for whatever reason, it never became a marriage.

I think John FERRIER b 1812 is in Forfar in 1841 & 1851 with a wife and children - but have never gone ahead & proved it is him, or followed him further than that.

Or perhaps you know of another John FERRIER of Boarhills, who could be the father?
Do you know what became of David & Barbara's son John? 

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 12 June 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked too deeply into this part of the tree as it is a bit of a branch, but I don't see him on the 1871 or 1881 census. Possible he moved overseas? I'm not sure.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
2. David Ferrier. (Born 1784 St Andrews and St Leonards Parish, Fife. Died 1863 Boarhills, St Andrews, Fife. Married Barbara Leslie in 1810)
If anyone is connected to these people then please get in touch.

Further to my reply to the above,  I have gone on and done a bit of research....still haven't proved I'm a descendant of David & Barbara through their son John - but I have learnt more about John, who if not belonging on my tree, at least does belong on yours  ;D

Overview:

He married 3 times to:
Christian BRUCE in 1835 (in Inchture, Perthshire) and had 2 sons and 1 daughter.
Ann FERGUSON in 1844 (in Meigle, Perthshire) and had 1 son* (b abt 1843)
Margaret DUNCAN in 1883 (in St Clement, Dundee) and had 2 daughters.

He died 1890:
St Clement, Burgh of Dundee, Forfarshire
John FERRIER , Joiner (Journeyman), 76 years
Died: 28th January 1890 at 4h, 10m, PM, 8 Mortimer Street, Dundee
Married1: Christian BRUCE
Married2: Ann FERGUSON
Married3: Margaret DUNCAN
Father: David FERRIER, Shoemaker (deceased)
Mother: Barbara FERRIER, m.s. LESLIE (deceased)
CoD: Senile Decay, Chronic  Bronchitis 1 month,
Informant: Margaret FERRIER, widow, present.

Wife 1, was about his own age.
Wife 2, was a bit older (Census wobbles). I think* the son born abt 43 is hers.
Wife 3, was around 40 years his junior. She was first married to a Robert PALMER and had 3 PALMER children also.

He is in the Census:
1841, Eassie & Nevay, Angus with wife1 and their 3 children, David, Alexander & Jean.
1851, Newtyle Angus with wife2, their son John and his  same 3 older children
1861, Meigle, Perthshire with wife2,  their son John  and his older son Alexander
1871, Mains, Angus, with wife2
1881, St Clement, Dundee, Angus, by himself and with a servant, Margaret DUNCAN age 28. She was about to give birth to their daughter Joan (registered as FERRIER), and didn't marry until 1883, before daughter Agnes was born. Her three older PALMER children are with her own mother.
1891: Widowed wife3 is in Angus with her three PALMER children and her 2 FERRIER children.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 04:00 BST (UK) »
Just Bumping this back up ......to say:

I'm now happy that John FERRIER (1812-1890), the son of David FERRIER (by wife Barbara LESLIE) of Boarhills Fife, who was the son of John FERRIER and Christian YOUNG,  is the natural father of my illegitimately born Agnes FERRIER (1830-1916).

I have a DNA match to a descendant of one of John's siblings, his brother David FERRIER. The Match is a 5th Cousin to me -  12 cM across 2 segments in the 5th-8th range of Ancestry.com's test results (Distant Cousin Range).

Cheers,
AMBLY

Wahoo!  2 more Generations of Gt-Grandparents now added to my tree  ;D
* David Ferrier & Barbara Leslie - 4x Gt Grandparents
* John Ferrier & Christian Young - 5 x Gt Gtandparents
* (Probably) Francis Leslie & Margaret Doig - 5 x Grandparents