Author Topic: clans of dumfriesshire  (Read 10822 times)

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
clans of dumfriesshire
« on: Friday 24 March 06 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone steer me in the right direction...the internet has me going in circles!

There appears to be three major clans local to the Dumfriesshire area -  Bruce, Johnston and Armstrong....one would assume the Lockerbie family would be a sept of one of these; Bruce if they were from the Lochmaben area!  BUT  when I plug in clan Lockerbie I get info saying the family name is a Sept of Douglas.

One website even said they were a sept of Dughlas which emed to deal with witchcraft...now that can't be right...can it?  any historians out there????

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: clans of dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan

Most Scots don't tend to look for 'clan' associations especially in the Border areas.
The idea of clans relates much more to the North and West of Scotland and the Inner and Outer Isles.
We talk more of Border 'families'. They can be associated with some of the big land owners in the 1500/1600 's. If you lived under their protection (which meant you had to take up arms when they told you to!!) you did not neccessarily have the same name as the local Lord.

Seeking 'clan' associations is a very American thing and some of the assumptions made are based on fairly insubstantial evidence.
Most early histories were about the landed classes not the real peasants working the land so tracing families is a problematical business. No one ever wrote their stories so history books don't really help but they were superstitious and there were purges of witches in Scottish history.

Russell

1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
I have info to share about my grandmother who was a Johnstone from Dumfries but having difficulty finding rest of her family.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pimms

Welcome to RootsChat from another RootsChatter.
Could i suggest to you that to catch more peoples attention it might be a good idea to start a thread of your own rather than tagging it on to an existing thread. That way everybody sees the SUBJECT line and anyone with a special interest in either the name or the area will be alerted to your quest.
The more problems people post here the better some folks like it! It's great fun helping another searcher find what sometimes seems impossible.
Put up as much detail about your grandmother as you have e.g. place, age , dates husband's name, childrens names, that way folks know if they have a link.
Remember - on here there ain't such a thing as a silly question! ;)

Have you looked at this site for Dumfries area?
http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/dumgal/default.aspx

Their census page is too early for you but there may be other interesting bits relating to the area.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 06 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hello from Wales

I don't think clan is very helpful for the Dumfrieshire area.

There are many family names, many of whom are deeply rooted in the area. The history of this area is quite complex.

I'm also researching Johnston but also Calvert, Todd, Bell, Morrine/Morraine, McKie, Malcolmson, Maban and many others.

Johnston and Armstrong were associated with Border warfare as Reivers and Bruce is from De Brus and the Norman settlement.

Folklore linked many people with witchcraft so don't take that too seriously.

Which families are you most interested in and perhaps  I can help with suggestions of where to look etc.

If you give all the info you have it'd be helpful.
Gill
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have a great grandmother who was a Johnstone from Dumfriesshire.

Who were you looking for? My G-Grandgmother, Mary, married William Brown and emmigrated to Australia.- any use?  They were farmers in Dryfesdale before migrating in 1859.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
i have johnstones bells and kerrs in my background and most families in dumfriesshire will have a johnstone the best thing is to start a new subject with your relatives name at the top and then put all the details you know underneath i am sure everybody who has any connection will join in  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Wul

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
There appears to be three major clans local to the Dumfriesshire area -  Bruce, Johnston and Armstrong.

Just three?

Offline rvolpato169

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 05:12 BST (UK) »
I have a Johnstone too in my family tree who I cannot find out much about except that she married my great grandfather who was an Armstrong and was born in Canonbie c1861. 

As others have suggested if you provide more information on what you do know maybe we can help.