Author Topic: Letters to the Past (not literally, of course!!)  (Read 3576 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Letters to the Past (not literally, of course!!)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 October 04 21:48 BST (UK) »
Where I live, Mallorca, the folk who decide these things are always changing the house numbers, I know of some houses that have three numbers, they seem to hang on to the old ones even though officially they have a new one.  The other thing they do is to change the road names in Palma, ....I would hate to be a taxi driver here.    Having said that, the house I live in doesn't have a number at all, nor a street name,  which is unheard of, just try explaining that to delivery van drivers!     Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline cath310859

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 October 04 21:58 BST (UK) »
thanks clincher  i only live round the corner from our main library  and i know they have a lot of info  i shall pop in and ask thanks again  cath
bullock,temke,turner,haddlington,richards,rollinson,batey,cameron

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 October 04 23:06 BST (UK) »
I used to be a Taxi Driver in Dunstable a few years ago. One of the streets there has numbers missing too. These were farily modern houses and apprently whoever job it was to lay out the plans lost count between 35 and 41.   ;D
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 October 04 13:46 BST (UK) »
Fancy having your house renumbered now!   How good would that be, all out Bills would go to No,21...yeah!!   lol

Yes but Fitty, all their bills would come to you!  And what if they spend more than you??   :o
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 October 04 13:49 BST (UK) »
My great-great grandfather lived at 19 Cressy Place Mile End Old Town, and there was a huge hoo-hah locally when his sister Ada committed suicide 2 months short of her 18th birthday and all the local people blamed their grandmother, whose cruelty they thought had driven Ada to take her own life. 

I would love to know if that house is still standing and if the current occupiers have any idea their home was the centre of a huge public demonstration - the police had to stay and guard the house until well past midnight on the night of the funeral.   The newspaper report reads like sensationalist fiction, which, come to think of it, could well be the case!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley