Author Topic: OYLEGATE  (Read 11440 times)

Offline NIFTYFIFTY47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OYLEGATE
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 April 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,

Was the lady you are researching for adopted?  Does she have her original birth cert.?  Where was she born?  Her plight has really stirred me emotionally and now I want to find a link for her to her mother.

Feel free to email me on my personal email.  I will send it to you in a private message.

Mary.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 April 06 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,

This was not just perception....it was growing up in Ireland and knowing how the Irish minds of that time worked.  I will certainly do my very best to see if I can help you get to the bottom of this.

Life was very cruel back then.

Mary.

Happy Easter Everyone,

I have just been doing a bit of research on the subject of Catholic Christenings pre 1843. I must have googled slightly off subject matter but in doing so came across a book title which may interest some of you.."The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades before Roe v Wade" by Ann Fessler  www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0143058657?v=glance&st=*  .

All the Best, Chris

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 April 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

Just back from an Easter break and read your message. That book looks interesting I shall have to browse it when it is published. Mary is helping with my search for Catherine Butler. no luck yet but you never know !!!

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 May 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
Audrey

do you by any chance have any details of later births of the Butlers in Wexford after 1875?

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 May 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
Erin
sorry they only go up to 1875 in Wexford

audrey

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 May 06 21:45 BST (UK) »
Audrey

Thank you
I think I may have made an important breakthrough in this inquiry. Yesterday I came across someone searching for Catherine's father. I have emailed the person and am awaiting a reply. I just need a bit more information on Thomas's siblings but I am 99% sure I have found a contact. I am very excited

Erin

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 May 06 21:48 BST (UK) »
Audrey

By the way Thomas was the father of Catherine born about 1872/79 He had 6 sisters and 2 brothers (I think )

Erin

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elderly Relatives are a mine of information-Talk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 June 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Erin,  Thomas Butler son of Pierce and Catherine Cullen was my husbands Grandfather.  His mother, Thomas daughter Mary Agnes came to England and married during the war.  Her brother John (Jack) as he was known, also left Ireland, Joined the airforce, married and moved to Oxford where he worked as a kind of Bursar at the one of the colleges at the University. My husband will know which as he used to stay with him for holidays.
I have been contacted by a lady researching on behalf of someone who has been told they are the daughter of Kathleen Butler, sister of Mary Agnes so my husband Aunt.  This was the first I had heard of this person and the first time I knew of this Aunt.  I have been trying for a number of years to get information on my mother in laws family so am trilled to have found you.  Maybe we can get our heads together and come up with a true list of siblings and get to the bottom of what happened to Catherine/Kathleen Butler after 1935 for her daughter.
DOUBLE - Harwich, Essex & Stratford St Mary, Suffolk
BOWEN - Oystermouth, Glamorgan & Harwich, Essex
WESTHEAD - Great Crosby & Fleetwood, Lancashire
PRATT - Leith, Midlothian & Fleetwood, Lancashire
BANHAM - Shelfanger, Norfolk & Fleetwood, Lancashire.
BARNES - Huddersfield, Elland, WR Yorshire & Co. Monahan, Ireland.
AKROYD - Stainland and Elland WR Yorkshire
TOWN(S)END - Barkisland, Elland  WR Yorkshire.
RILEY - Elland WR Yorkshire
LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland

Offline ARIJABA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elderly Relatives are a mine of information-Talk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 June 06 13:17 BST (UK) »
Erin
Just to let you know that because of your and Diana's interest in Catharine/Kathleen, I checked out 1837 online for marriages in that name after 1936 when she left Dublin. (Diana says she was told Kathleen stayed on there for 18 months),  I found a marriage in Oxford which would tie in if she had gone there at the same time as her brother John (Jack).  Certificate should arrive any time now so keep your fingers crossed......
Arijaba.
DOUBLE - Harwich, Essex & Stratford St Mary, Suffolk
BOWEN - Oystermouth, Glamorgan & Harwich, Essex
WESTHEAD - Great Crosby & Fleetwood, Lancashire
PRATT - Leith, Midlothian & Fleetwood, Lancashire
BANHAM - Shelfanger, Norfolk & Fleetwood, Lancashire.
BARNES - Huddersfield, Elland, WR Yorshire & Co. Monahan, Ireland.
AKROYD - Stainland and Elland WR Yorkshire
TOWN(S)END - Barkisland, Elland  WR Yorkshire.
RILEY - Elland WR Yorkshire
LASSEY - Huddersfield WR
SHAW - Elland