Author Topic: Which POW camps WW2  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which POW camps WW2
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 October 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
thanks Brian and Annie I have now come across various references and I'm building up quite a picture of it all.  Thanks for all your help - I would never have got this far without it.
Sonia

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 October 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Phillip Chinnery,Ex P.O.W. Association.      nexpowa@fsmail.net

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 October 08 16:10 BST (UK) »
thanks Brian - I'll get in touch with him - it could prove a two-way source of information.
Sonia

Offline Bobby51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 December 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »

I was searching for more info my fathers internment at Biezwil  (he was R.A.S.C.) when I came across this post so I joined to reply to you Sonia.
My father saved some things and so I have quite a few photographs and other information about there from stories told me by my father.
They worked on helping on some of the mountain railway whilst there and I have photos of this, photos of a soldiers funeral , also and of them marching through the village and such.

If it will help I can scan and upload these for you. It could be (with luck) your father is on them and you might recognize him.
Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 December 12 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bobby 51

How wonderful to hear from you - it never ceases to amaze me how messages on this forum crop up out of the blue with new information.

I'd love to have copies of the photos you have - thank you so much for the offer.  I'll check back on all my info to see it there is anything that will be of interest for you in return.  Have to go out just now so will do that on return.

regards
Sonia

Offline Bobby51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 December 12 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have about 20 or 30 I could email you a zip file  but here are some for you to see what I am talking of.
Regards Bobby
Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 December 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob
thank you so much for the photos - unfortunately the one of your Dad did not come out - just a little logo in top left corner. However the others are very interesting to see, what wonderful treasures you have there.
My father entered the Army as a chef but he became a storeman during his Army career. I have only the basic facts from his service record so even the photos you have sent help me to build a picture of his time.
best wishes
Sonia

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 December 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
PS - just discovered how to open the other photo!!!  Which one is your Dad?  They all look happy and well which is strange as we have these dreadful images of POW camps in our heads.

Offline Ellie Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 August 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia,

I know this discussion was started a long time ago, but I just wanted to get in touch in case you still look here.

I am the grand daughter of the man named Moran that your father was with during the Second World War.

My family and I have been trying to research what happened to him during this time, without success until now, but happened to stumble across your post today and it would be great if we could get in contact to talk more about what you know.

We will be going to the National Archives ourselves now we have the correct references to get his account but if anyone has any more recommendations on what to do next that would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Ellie