Author Topic: Which POW camps WW2  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Which POW camps WW2
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellie
I've sent you a PM as I'm struggling to get a scanned document through to you
Sonia

Offline Ellie Ray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 August 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia,

Thank you so much for your reply and my PM. I can't reply on there for some reason but my email address is

Looking forward to talking more!

Many thanks

Ellie

Offline Linda Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have just joined having seen a mention of Munchenbuchsee Internment Camp.  My uncle Jack Tilson was there until 17 March 1942 when he was accidentally killed  while trying to escape, a warning bullet ricoched and hit him in the back. Despite trying for the last couple of years I have not been able to find any additional information until I found your website.
I noticed the date of Jack's death was the same one mentioned by Sonia Gardner -
'Biezwill, Munchenbuchsee and Fort De La Revere are all mentioned.  The last sentence reads We were moved to Fort De La Revere on 17 March 42 from which we escaped on 5 Sept.'
I would love to hear more and will try and get the report Brian mentions.  Do you know if there are any mentions of Jack Tilson in the report Sonia? Thanks, Linda

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda

I have gone through all my file for my father's army service but unfortunately I have found no mention of Jack Tilson.  The documents I received from the National Archives referred to the statements my father made regarding his escape.  I am so sorry I cannot help you but don't give up as often information pops up long after you put in a request.
Good luck with your research
Sonia

Offline Linda Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 September 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for checking Sonia.  As you say I will keep trying, it has been one of those things that have really bothered me.  I couldn't understand why the Swiss would fire on him - I still can't get it.  I recently found a reference to a book in which Munchenbuchsee was mentioned and the person who was reporting his experiences seems to suggest that he could come and go at will, so I am mystified at why other soldiers couldn't.  Maybe this person was trying to pass themselves off as a civilian.  In case you are interested the book is 'The Avro Manchester: The Legend Behind the Lancaster' https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pAIkDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT479&dq=munchenbuchsee+the+lancaster&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1mOih7cHdAhUMLcAKHdJjDXcQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=munchenbuchsee%20the%20lancaster&f=false