Author Topic: I need some advice please - Professional Researchers?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
I need some advice please - Professional Researchers?
« on: Monday 27 March 06 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could anyone recommend  a good  professional researcher for Gloucestershire ( Bitton and oldland areas). Someone who they have used and are  happy with their service -  and possibly not too expensive ( I don't want much do I? lol).

Has anyone  here used this one? http://www.gloucestershireresearch.co.uk/

I want one for a newspaper search. I'm in Australia so  I can't search the  old newspapers myself , and to be honest I haven't a clue which local newspapers I should be even searching for the area  ( I'm looking for a report  in the  papers of a suicide which happened in  Feb 1896) . Where would  all the local newspapers for the areas ( Bitton and Oldland ) be held ? Would it be the Bristol archives or Gloucestershire archives?

Do you think it would  it be  better going through the archives own researchers ( which I think they charge about 18 pounds an hour) , than to use an "Outside" researcher which look as if they charge a lot  less per hour (  But I'm thinking although they look cheaper  they may take longer than the archives own researchers ,so  they may work out to be far more expensive in the long run -  ??)
I haven't got a clue what to do , and  I don't want to waste my money just picking any old researcher off the internet without any recommendations first

Has anyone got any recommendations,experience of using a paid researcher ?

Thanks for any advice :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I need some advice please - Professional Researchers?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 05:01 BST (UK) »
As one of those cheaper non archives affiliated researchers I can tell you that apart from price there is nothing between us all.  The £18 an hour sounds like its the archivists doing the work.  Also thos reccomended by the archives actually pay for the privellidge of being reccomended.  DERbyshire charge 20 quid I believe.
Newspapers dont tend to be held in the archives but in a local studies library.

You are aware that all the countries newspapers are held at the newspaper library in North London and you may be better suited finding a researcher there.  In fact I believe the library as a web site but I don't have the link.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 05:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Rob  :)
 I've found the  newspaper library's web site and they have a research service by the looks of it:
http://www.bl.uk/services/information/familyhs.html

Thanks again

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Cell,

Very good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP