Author Topic: WAUNYSTRADFEIRIS - LLANGADOG  (Read 11731 times)

Offline Camera

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WAUNYSTRADFEIRIS - LLANGADOG
« on: Wednesday 29 March 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
My grandfather George Brown was born at Waunystradfeiris Llangadock on 15/9/1880. Despite looking at "Old Maps", I have been unable to find out what or where exactly Waunystradfeiris is/was. I have found the village of Waunystrad Meurig but I don't think this is it. It may have been a large house or farm, as his mother was working there as a "Domestic servant". Can anyone help. ???

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WAUNYSTRADFEIRIS - LLANGADOG
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Camera!  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Apparently there was a toll-house there, which was destroyed during the Rebecca Riots - Googling produced a couple of references to this, but no exact location, other than that it was near Llangatog.

I agree that it is difficult to find, but maybe there is someone living locally who will know? Is anyone out there?  :D

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Have PMed you with a phone number for someone locally who might know!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroot.
 I've given him a ring, but he's gone to lunch! I'll try again later

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 12:43 BST (UK) »
I looked at the census for 1881 and can't see your grandfather?

I also looked at the Enumerator's instructions for his "walk" in Llangadog 1881, but that doesn't mention Waunystradfeiris.

Do you have access to the census?  You could try going through the pieces for the area, to see if the placename occurs. (Quite time consuming)

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots
Grandad was born "The wrong side of the blanket" to Elizabeth Brown on 15/9/1880. His birth certificate gives place of birth as Waunystradfeiris. His mothers place of residence was the same, "a domestic servant". His father was George Lant, a cattle dealer, Cwmgwyn,Myddfae. The couple were married a few weeks later (25/10/1880). The 1881 census shows the family at Glansevin Row - now known as Ashfield Row. His name is given as George Lant, aged 7 months, the name he used for the rest of his life.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Well that will teach me to be nosey!  ::)

Any luck with the phone call?

Have you indentified Elizabeth's parents on earlier censuses?  It seems likely that her first child would be born at her parents' home, since she hadn't one of her own at the time? Did she register the birth herself?  Were her parents mentioned on the marriage cert?

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya think this is it looked in 1881 and there are about 10 houses there District Road(Waunystradfiris)Llangadock.Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots
The birth was registered by both parents. Elizabeths family were from Leominster, but the place of birth was Waunystradfeiris. No luck with the 'phone call. They advised "Cambria" in llandeilo. I have sent an e-mail, but as yet, have had no reply.