Author Topic: WAUNYSTRADFEIRIS - LLANGADOG  (Read 11729 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WAUNYSTRADFEIRIS - LLANGADOG
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:14 BST (UK) »
In which case, you could try the Carmarthen Record Office, who are very helpful - they might have other old maps to help you.

Welsh Lady - my Welsh is not good enough to know whether you are saying the place is a translation of District Road?  (I know Ystrad is Street!)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Camera

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Welsh Lady
Thanks for the info. I have looked up in 1881 and find 8 houses, two of which were unused. As you state, they are listed as District Road (Waunystradfiris). Despite the slight spellin change, they must be it! Anyone know where District road is.

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hello again Arranroots
The place name of "District Road" is followed by a good number of farms, cottages etc. so Waunustradfeiris must be a small hamlet of houses. The census gives the Civil Parish as Llangadock, and the Parish as Esgob. By the way, I'm no Welsh speaker either, but I looked up Waun as moorland, and Ystrad as valley bottom. Feiris? - no idea!

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 March 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
The Rebecca Riots article states the the Turnpike toll-house was destroyed, so it must be on a major highway (even though the riots were long before the 1881 census, the road didn't move!)

Have you tried looking for Escob on the old-maps site?

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 March 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
I did try the Old maps site for Esgob but no luck. I have also tried plotting the whereabouts of "neighbors" of Waunystradfeiris including District Road "Old Gate" - is this the Rebecca Riots one? but it's not as clear as it might be. There is a cluster of small cottages next to Waunystrad Meurig - named after the castle - which have no names. I have in fact, called at this street about a year ago, and they all now have individual cottage names, and no one I spoke to had heard of Waunystradfeiris. The search continues!

Offline buckaroo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Camera,

I hope I can shed some light on this for you. 
As you commented, Waunystradfiris is noted on the 1881 census as on ‘District Road’.  I then looked for other properties also listed along ‘District Road’, and came up with quite a list for my trouble!  Armed with this information I cross-referenced this with a very useful mapping service available on the Carmarthenshire County Council website (http://gis.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/planaccess/planaccess.asp), which is searchable by address or part thereof.  Although I could not find Waunystradferis, there is a Waunystrad-meirig and a Meiris Villa.  The others I found that matched the 1881 census were; Mount Dyrfal, Cwrywaun, Tynlone, Tynlonefach, Greenfield Cottage, Pantywaun, Penybont, Maesgwastod, Llwyncelyn.  All of these were fairly close to each other, so I’d have to say, we must be pretty close.  If you want to Multimap or Old maps, the post code is SA19 9HS.  District Road appears to correspond with the C2149 from Llangadog to Llandovery.

My best guess would be that the house is either not there now, or the name has been changed, or even that the census enumerator miss-spelt it (unheard of eh!!).  I’ve not been along that road for a while but I’ll be going for a nose when I’m passing next.

Hope this is some help.
Abraham           Field
Barnett             Jeavons
Price                 Turnbull
Slaymaker        Uttley

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input Buckaroo - great to have a local on board!

:D 8)

Offline Camera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Buckaroo.
Thanks for the intrest and all the time you've obviously put in to this problem. Having spent quite some time trying to find Waunystradfeiris in the past, I have not had chance to look further for some time. It is my intention to take a run up there this summer, and try to find out more. I too thought that it may have been a mistake by the enumerator but having found the same name in the reference to the Rebbecca Riots, I feel that it must have existed. The Meiris Villa you refered to used to be the site of Oldgate Cottage, was this the Toll Gate in question? It must have been on the right road. The word Feiris is also a mystery. Not being a Welsh speaker, I have tried to look it up, with little success. One Welsh/English dictionary did give it as Mayors but none of the others I tried gave a result. Thanks again for your interest.

Offline Llandeilor fan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 December 08 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have only page 63 of the 1851 census of Llangadock parish. On that page are three families living at Wainystradfeiris and one at Llwyncelin.  If you go to

http://gis.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/planaccess/planaccess.asp

and enter post code SA19 9HS and click on Waun Ystrad Meurig, you will see Llwyn-Celyn Cottage across the road. This is enough to convince me that Waunystradfeiris was located where Waun Ystrad Meurig is today (although the boundaries might have been different).

For those who use OS coordinates, Waunystradfeiris (Waun Ystrad Meurig) is at 271558,228392.

In Welsh, the initial 'm' of a word is sometimes changed to 'f'. Also, an 'i' is sometimes enterchanged with a 'u'. I'm not sure about the final 'g' and the final 's'. It seems likely to me that 'feiris' and 'meurig' are the same. Note that there was a Meurig Castle in ancient Llangadog.