Author Topic: Transcript of St Sepulchres Church Graveyard, Northampton  (Read 87364 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Transcript of St Sepulchres Church Graveyard, Northampton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
HI Ian

I was fed up and tired and freezing as a cold wind was blowing across the grave yard.  ;D so I did the best I could.

The grave looked in the same state as the previous photograph so I cleared it.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
By the way Ian the grave you said was Smith is Smith not Smart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go with your own instinct. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent 3 hours looking through your list and my original photographs as I only
took 40 today but kept the ones I took in 2003.

Just as well as they are quite a few no longer viewable. 

The Churchyard has a large area that is now for people's ashes so a lot of graves
are lost.

Is your index all the graves and did you do only the ones that you could read?

On William Snow's inscription it reads the same as No 6's. from Oh No In Cruelty.

Any way need an early night. Nite

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline RuthT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

When  you get the time could i have JONES & DRAGE please?
Many thanks to you
Ruth
Hall - Leicester,  Wolverhampton, Staffs Bridgnorth
Cartwright - Leicester
Guest - Worsborough, Yorks
Eastment - Bucks/Northants
Elliott - Northants
Sharp - Northmpton
Tew - Northampton
Boston - Bedfordshire
Wale - Leic & Hinckley
Hunt - Leicester
Wiley - Leic, Warwickshire & Staffs
Harris - Staffs
Corbett - Staffs

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 April 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
I do live in Canada, but I was born in Northampton, in Far cotton, and moved to St James when I was 5. Hubby and I came to Canada when I was 22.
We are in England for a holiday every 3 years or so. And spend a week or two in Northampton so I can haunt the record office.

Marilyn

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 April 06 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth
DRAGE

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER DRAGE WHO DIED APRIL 1_ 1866 AGED __ YEARS
(SORRY GRAVESTONE IN POOR CONDITION)

JONES
IN MEMORY OF THOMAS JONES WHO DIED 12th MAY 1832 _____ _____ ALSO CHARLOTTE HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN.

2ND GRAVESTONE
IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE  _____ JOHN JONES ____________________ 1874
(AT BOTTOM FOOTSTONE  J.J . 1874  A.J. 1876)

THE REST WAS UNREADABLE

Sorry it is the best i can do.
regards Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 April 06 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy
I cant thank you enough ! The other person who had a look at what i had done said it was SMART but i thought to myself no way surley i could not of mis read that ! and now you have proved me right, i will alter mine back to Smith !
When i did the Inscriptions i did every single grave that was standing or lieing down, every word that could be seen even just the odd letter, the only ones that i did not do where the smashed graves on the far side and inside the church ! it would be worth going into the church just to see what is there !

So it seems then my work has become a valued peice of work, with so many of the graves now gone  :( :'( 
Keep matching the pictures to the transcript, you will find you have a real treasure, !
Perhaps i should start on the ones down here in the Water Drought Dover area. before they are lost,
Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 April 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
Well it happened again I thought I would have an early night and the Police Helicopter decided to fly
backwards and forwards for over an hour.  >:( >:( >:(

Never mind Ian at least it meant that I could look at the missing bits and try and
fill some of them in from Alan's index.

Ian some are confirming your own, obviously all need checking and some are possibles. PLease do not forget they are Burial dates unless it says Died .

It really is time for bed.  :)

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 April 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Sandy, just wonderful !
I see this all happend at around 1.30 in the morning !
Right i will check this all out when i get back from the vets
Mind you i could not sleep last night thinking about the graveyards, and how they have all gone!
Then i thought about the crem ! most there will go as you only pay for a certain amount of time then after that your plaque is removed, so yet again history dissapears. unless you keep up the payments...

Ian
Right off the the vets as it is  10 miles away

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 April 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

I have sent them to you so that you have a copy and will remove from message now.

Also Francis's gravestone.

It is a good thing that the F.H.S are transcribing all the C of E Monumental Inscriptions for Northamptonshire.

I do my little bit by doing some Non-comformists graves as the burial records are not so available.

Hope all goes well at the vets.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright