Author Topic: Another Seaforth Highlanders Query?  (Read 15650 times)

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Seaforth Highlanders Query?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you, I hadn't thought about The Times, that's brilliant.  It is lovely to have someone that there is information about.  All our other trees are very nondiscript.

The trouble is there are so many places to look for information about this one, I don't know where to start and I end up spending too much time at my PC, but it is so fascinating reading up about battles he could have been in.  And of course his brothers and father too.  I know one of his sons was in the army too.

The information about the will is interesting, I wonder if I can get to read it, it may shed more light on his children, he had quite a few, I am up to 13 at the moment!  It might at least confirm they are all his.

I notice you have a Trumpeter for your avatar, are you one too?

Many thanks for your help.

Daff.

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
I notice you have a Trumpeter for your avatar, are you one too?

;D
No, I'm not a Trumpeter but I am ex-military!

There must be loads of information about James's time as State Trumpeter,it'll be interesting to see what else can be found.

I did find this curious photo of a Scottish State Trumpeter's uniform from the Victorian era.

http://www.no10lodge.fsnet.co.uk/morelodgephotos.htm

Mick ;)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 April 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
As you say, curious!  It is probably the best photo of the uniform that I shall get to see and is interesting for that.

After reading the obit from The Scotsman I googled 'Queen's Edinburgh Rifles' I got a mixture of information about Territorial Army and a Masonic Lodge of the same name, perhaps he belonged to both and donated his uniform, it's the same era.

Thanks.
Daff

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 20 April 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
daff,youve got to post this on the great war forum,he was involved in ww1 but many of us have interests in other wars,they will love this on the forum,you never know what they will come up with,thats a brilliant piece from the scotsman,and it confirms that the pte bunch who died was his brother,well done everyone,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 April 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mack. I will do that.  I looked at it the other day but it was late at night and I was too tired to register, will sort it out in the next couple of days.  Thanks for all your help!
Daff

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 April 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff,
 Well done on the info you have had, isn't it great to uncover things like this. I had a lot of help from Gaven and found my G Grandfather also in the Seaforths and received his papers today.
Good bunch of people on here pats on the back to you all,
 Vanda
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline AlexanderB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 July 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Daff,
Just been reading all this info about my great great grandad - I'm actually on the Colin side who himself had 10 children. I've been told he wrote his own obituary by the way but I can't verify that. Which side of the family are you from?

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi AlexanderB

I will send you a private message, I too know James wrote his own obituary.  I have a fair bit of information on him I can share with you.  :)

Offline AlexanderB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think I know who you might be :)
I can't seem to write personal messages - it says I can't.
Try my linkedin :
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/alexander-bunch/2/49/5b3