Author Topic: Station Hotel, South Norwood  (Read 981 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Station Hotel, South Norwood
« on: Wednesday 29 March 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have been told that my grandfather, Thomas Brigden WESTALL, ran the Station Hotel in South Norwood.  He died in 1937 whilst still working in the hotel.  Does this hotel exist today?  I can find no references to it.  There is 'The Cherry Trees', Station Road.  Is this another pub entirely, or was Station Hotel renamed?
Margaret

ps Year modified from 1837 to 1937, see below!!
Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Station Hotel, South Norwood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 22:14 BST (UK) »
I'm surprised South Norwood had a hotel at all in 1837 let alone one named the Station.

In 1836 the Grand Surrey Canal closed, and work commenced on the construction of the railway utilising much of the old bed of the canal. The first railway station at South Norwood was called the "Jolly Sailor". Two bridges were constructed, The Goat House and also the bridge over Portland Road.

The suburb’s first station was the Jolly Sailor at South Norwood, on the London Bridge to Croydon line, which began to operate in 1839. This was to open the door for a greater range of commuters, but for some decades the high train fares meant that it was not opened wide.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Station Hotel, South Norwood
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
It was 1937,  not 1837!!
I am not that old that I have a grandfather who died 170 years ago.
Original post modified.
Many apologies
Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go