Author Topic: ST JOHNSTON family, Kings Heath  (Read 7931 times)

Offline butcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ST JOHNSTON family, Kings Heath
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dannis48,

I have amassed all sorts of info over the years about the St Johnstons including the family photo album from when Thomas lived at The Poplars on Valentine Rd (which Kings Heath Junior School is built on top of), so I have photos of all his children including Daisy if Thomas would like to see them?

I also have a copy of "The Blue Book" written in the 1940s, of which a copy was given, so I am led to believe to all branches of the St Johnston family, which sets out much of the family history. I would be extremely interested in contacting anyone else in possession of a copy as there were only a small number ever printed as it was for internal family perusal.

Regards,

Offline Dennis48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this.

I would of course like to see the photographs of my grandmother, Daisy and if I had copies of oen or more I could easily pass them onto her son. He is now very old and would need this help i think.  I had heard of the blue book but have never seen a copy as I am in not in touch with otehr St Johnstone family members so far.

What is feasibel from your point of view, in terms of letting me see these things ?  Do you have electronic copies (probably not I guess). I live in Hertfordshire. Where do you live /

Many thanks for your response.

Dennis

Offline Vanessa Griffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's many years since your posting so I can only hope that you are still interested in the St Johnston family.  I have been researching my family for many years now and have recently started looking into my ex-husband's family as he and our sons are interested to know more.  Charles, my former husband, is the grandson of Lilian Louise Crisp (nee St Johnston) (1883 - 1970s).  She was always known as Queenie.   In 1908 in Toxteth Park, Liverpool she married Clifford Boulton Crisp (Abt. 1884 - 06.05.1917) by whom she had two children - Clifford Manning Crisp (b.1910) and Gwyneth Crisp (b.1912).  Clifford married Enid Mary Jones in Surrey in December 1938 and they had three sons - Thomas Crisp (b.1940), Charles Manning Crisp (my former husband, born on 22.01.1945.) and Robert Kendrick Crisp (b.1948).  Clifford died in 1987 and his wife Enid died in 1989 both in Devon.  Gwyneth was born in 1912 and died in the 1980s in Surrey.  She never married and died without issue.

I believe that Lilian Louise St Johnston remarried, maybe twice.  At the end of her life, her husband was an English speaking Portuguese gentleman whom I met many times, but currently, I have been unable to trace his details online.  Lilian may also have married for the second time shortly after the death of her first husband in 1917 - a Leonard Lownes.  Does this mean anything to you?

If you, or any readers have any more information or photographs of the family, I should be delighted to hear from them. 

Best wishes Vanessa

Offline butcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa,

Good to hear from you. Yes, I have Lillian in my tree, but my mum was not sure if she was a separate person to Queenie, who she does remember- so this has cleared this up for me. I have some old photos of who my mum believes is Queenie, would you be able to identify them?

I have not got solid knowledge of Leonard Lownes, but mum remembers the Portuguese gent as Monty Russo and another name as Moughtino (prob not spelt correctly) but they may not be one and the same

Happy New Year!

Ian

Offline butcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 December 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis48,

Please get in touch directly, not sure if I replied to you directly previously- life has been rather turbulent and this may have slipped through the net!

Happy New Year everyone!

Ian

Offline Vanessa Griffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 January 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply.  I should love to see any photos you have of the family and hope I would be able to recognise 'Queenie'.  I remember her as being extremely petite with piercing blue eyes and quite a mass of grey hair!  That would have been in the late 60s/70s.

I have no experience of Rootschat - how do I privately pass my email address to you?  I have a copy of a photograph of six of the girls which I believe was taken in about 1903.  I could email you a copy.

Happy New Year and best wishes
Vanessa

Offline AnjyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I am not au fait with more than the names of your family although I have heard them mentioned.  The name was originally Johnston, with members of the family having an S as a middle name standing for the "Saint".  My great x 3 grandmother was an Eliza S Johnston bapt in Manchester.  It was her father Thomas who was born near to Gretna Green in 1785.  A Reginald St Johnston wrote and published a book about Eliza's generation of Johnstons and he would have come from your line too I think as he refers to Thomas born circa 1851 as his grandfather.  You can google him - he was quite well known in his time with a lengthy public career.

Offline butcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi AnjyW,

I have Eliza in my tree as the daughter of Thomas Johnston and Elizabeth who are my g g g g grandparents with Eliza being my g g g grandaunt, would be very happy to make contact as yours is a branch I have little knowledge of?

Regards,

Ian