Author Topic: Where is Overthong?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where is Overthong?
« on: Friday 31 March 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone KNOW where Overthong is? I am guessing it must be in the Upperthing / Holmfirth area, but any knowledge here?

Thanks Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Gee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bertie Bloomfield 1898 - 1909
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Overthong?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

My first thoughts when I saw the name, was that if it was correct, it would be up near Upperthong and Netherthong in the Holmfirth area as you say. I honestly don't know of a place of that name.
Could it possibly be a badly mis-spelled Overton, which is about halfway between Holmfirth and Wakefield?

Cheers
Gregg  :)
Dublin: Bloomfield, Short<br />Yorkshire: Bloomfield, Chambers, Mottram, Hayes<br />Derbyshire:  Batty, Savage, Leah, Hempstock<br />Nottinghamshire: Hempstock, Chambers, Hepworth, Taylor

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
The National Archives site mentions this:

Sheffield Archives: Deeds relating to Overthong fulling mills, Almondbury [18th century]

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I only have a Transcript of a baptism

Bapt Almondbury but 'of Overthong'

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
Upper Thong is alive and well just outside Huddersfield and the way to Holmfirth.

Regards

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Yes I know where  Upper Thong is - mt gt grandmoter was born there
Thanks anyway

Her grandfather was bat at almondbury, recorded as 'Of Overthong'
It seems it may be nearer to Almondbury

Bob

Offline carrey56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
I also have a marriage of a couple "of Overthong" or could be Ouuthong! wonder if it was a house name? I have another of Baook that no one seems to be able to find. All in Almondbury area

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345091

in link on old map above, bottom of map in Bold letters is Nether Thong

Under the bold word  Nether is Thong Moor (from Cooper Lane  was Overthong to  Thong lane above Thongsbridge.)

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.5836&lon=-1.7827&layers=171&right=BingHyb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
Highly likely to be in the Upperthong area of Holmfirth, if the baptism is recorded in the Almondbury parish.
Holmfirth was interesting in that one half of the town belonged to Almondbury parish and the other side to Kirkburton.
Can we ask the name of the family, Stonechat, and the dates?