Author Topic: Badenoch family history  (Read 8551 times)

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Badenoch family history
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

Hoping that someone out there is researching or has in their tree Badenochs from Portsoy, Gamrie.

I have an Isabella b June 1885, died 1931 in Aberdeen, married to Alexander Finnie Cardno 1874-1942. They had twin daughters, it appears that Isabella died when the girls were about 10.

I believe Isabella's father was James Badenoch, b 1841 in Portsoy, Banff, and mother Mary Sutherland b 1845 in Rathven, Banff.    Mary's parents Alexander Sutherland & Anne Flett

Can anyone help me.

Maureen.
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Badenoch family history
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi - if you need any help with places or burials in aberdeenshire let me know...i work around the shire every day and always have a bit of spare time at lunch!!
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
hi maureen,

i reckon there is someone else researching the badenoch's here on rootschat, plenty researching the sutherland's and cuddlepie is researching the flett's.

was your james badenoch the son of george and elizabeth mintie?

james married mary sutherland 25/12/1866 rathven

badenoch children i can find from the igi's

eliza...22/12/1867
ann...22/1/1869
james...22/7/1870
mary...10/1/1872
george...22/9/1873

children all born rathven.

george married elizabeth mintie 30/11/1834 banff

badenoch children from marriage

george..29/2/1836
james...27/4/1839(could this be yours?)
john...23/6/1841
william minty...19/4/1845
joseph...17/6/1848
elizabeth...15/6/1850

john(1773) married margaret forbes(1776) on the  31/1/194 rathven

badenoch children

ann...1796
alexander...1799
george..1802(father of james)
elizabeth...1804

always searching

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe

Good to hear from you, my info on the Badenoch's are from other sources, only looking into it because of Isabella Badenoch who married into my "Cardno's". 

I have James marrying Mary Sutherland on same date as you gave, they have 13 children together, with Mary dying 3 March 1903 in Portsoy.  I found her in 1881 & 1901 (Cullen Street) census along with many of  the younger children, including  "my Isabella". 

I have James parents as George Badenoch 1798-1887 & Elizabeth "Unknown" 1802-1872, being married  21 June 1823, and 12 children,  and I have also George , James, John, William as per your list.

George above I have for his parents:  George Badenoch & Anne Geddes both born in Port Gordon, around 1770 .

Raises a few more questions than answers, wonder if they are two families around the same time with same or very similar names, and we have them mixed up somewhat.   

I cannot say for sure how reliable my source was.

Maureen
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
There were a large contingent from Badenoch that immigrated to Ontario Canada; specifically to Puslinch. McLeans, Clark,  and too many to mention. I can do small amounts of research.
I would recomment Worldconnect.com. Do an advanced search. pus in a surname. in Place, put in"Puslinch" you can put it in birth place, Marriaf=ge place, and Death place. Many would be under death OR marriage.
I have found a LOT of Badenochers in this site.

Offline MB1147

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
I am writing in reply to this very old thread hoping you may have more information on the Badenoch's mentioned.  My husband James is the great grandson of the James Badenoch married to Mary Sutherland and coming from Portsoy.  We have just returned from a holiday in the house where they raised their thirteen children.  We have very little knowledge of the family beyond our own branch.  William came south to London and inherited the house from his big sister Eliza who was left it by her Father "because she did not have benefit of education like my other children."  Nellie, one of the other sisters, was the first female first class honours student out of Aberdeen University. I would love to share any additional information.

Offline Jo Mackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a marriage of Anne Badenoch to Alexander Mackay on 8/8/1850 at Deskford. 1851 census had them farming at Oathillock. Anne died 2/11/1889.
Her parents were David Badenoch (Shoemaker) and Margaret Adam.

I am researching my Mackay family history and saw the name of Badenoch. Happy to share info of generations further down. :)

Jo Mackay