Author Topic: Dryslwyn , Dryslwyn where art thou in 61?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Dryslwyn , Dryslwyn where art thou in 61?
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Please can anyone help with this one. I've been running around in circles for the past year with this.
Can anyone find Dryslwyn in 1861?
I posted a request in the common room ages ago, last year sometime, but no joy in finding it.

I'm wondering if it is totally missing from the 61 census - damaged maybe, or lost . If it is there on ancestry , could someone  point me to it please ,as I can't find it on there at all.
It's there in 51, 71, 91 etc.

I can't find anyone who lives in Dryslwyn  full stop in 1861 on ancestry ( even with just a keyword search of Dryslwyn  , leaving all other fields blank).

I've  also gone through Llangathen page by page looking for it, and a few of the other surrounding parishes - but still I can not find Dryslwyn!  :'( '(. The village today is still a very small village, and there are not many people living in it  back in the 1800's (or even now today) - so it could be a missing from the  1861 census and not many people would notice.
I've also looked on 1837 com for  Dryslwyn  - no  results.
This makes me think that it maybe  missing in 1861.

I've looked at all Evan Evans, the family I'm searching for who lived there ( and Evan Evan, just in case the S has been left off) and Sarah Evans , and his son Alfred in censuses for the surrounding areas - I can't find them -and still no Dryslwyn !!! lol . I've tried looking for other people ( with more unusual names than the Evans) who were in the 51 and 71 censuses in the village of Dryslwyn  - still no joy !:'(. It seems to have totally dissapeared off the planet  in 1861-  and then it  reappears back in 71 lol

This is the family I'm looking for in 61 . I'm not asking for a look up of the below family ( although it would be great if anyone does come across them  of course and points me to them)  , I just want to find  little old Dryslwyn  in 1861. If I find that  on ancestry -I should  find the family. If you look at the below censuses, you'll see the area I am looking for in 1861:

Evan Evans  ( tailor)and wife Sarah Evans who where there in both censuses in the same place - (Dryslwyn) in either side of the 61 census

1851 census -HO107/2471, folio 281 , page 13,
Civil Parish Llangathen 
Ecclesiastical parish: Dryslwyn  ,
Registration district, Llandilofawr , Sub-registration district Talley.

1871 Census -
RG10/5484, folio 15, page 3

Civil Parish, Llangathen 
Town: Dryslwyn
 Registration district, Llandilofawr
Sub-registration district, Llangathen

Has anyone here got the 61 census on CD's ?  If you wouldn't mind looking - Is Dryslwyn on  there? (I've only got the full 51 census Cd's and part of the 41  and 61 Cd's so can't look myself ). I'm wondering is it just ancestry who's not got it , or it is a total missing piece of the 61 census.

Or if anyone here goes to the Carmarthen record office quite often (or they are in the carmarthen society etc), if you wouldn't mind could you please ask "someone in the know" if there are parts of the 1861 carmarthen census missing  and is Dryslwyn one of them that's missing.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long  drawn out and very rambling  post  ;D, and thank you for any help at all 
I'm  really tearing my hair out on this one, and just maybe wasting my time  searching and searching for it  if it is  completely missing/damaged. .....argh!!!
Help!

:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Debby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dryslwyn , Dryslwyn where art thou in 61?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 06 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,

I went and had a look at the Llangathen sub-districts for 1961 and you are correct yours is missing althogether.

The four subdistricts used in 1841, 1851 and 1861 (I haven't checked the later census) were:

Borthlwyd & Brynhafod

Dryslwyn; Alltygar & Tregynin

Llan-Blaenynis & Cwmysgifarowg

Ysgwyn & Mountain

Dryslwyn may well have been damaged or destoyed but it still might be worth contacting Ancestry to see if this was the case or if it was just a scanning and transcription omission.

It should have been District 1 of Llangathan in the 1861 census as that is the district number that is missing.

Deb
ADDICOAT. ANNETT. BAKER. BARNES. BASSETT. BROOKS. BURLOUGH. BURROP. CAREW. CHASMER. CRAWFORD. DAVIES. DENHAM. DRURY. EDE. ELPHEK. FARRELL. FINCH. FOWLE. GOACHER. HENRY. HIRST. HOATH. HOCKING. HOOK. HORIGAN. HOSKEN. JARRETT. JAUNCEY. JEFFERY. KNIGHT. LEGGO. LLOYD. MARTENS. MASON. MATHEW. MATTHEWS. MEACHEN. MILNER. MUNN. MURRALL. NEAVE. PAINE. PHILIPS. PIETSCH. REDFORD. RICHARDS. RICHARDSON. SANTER. SEABROOK. SHUTER. SOUTHON. THOMPSON. TOLLY. VAUGHN. VINGOE. WEAVER. WILLIARD
Eng, Ire, Wls, Rus, G

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried Court Henry (Cwrt Henri)?

I think it would be the most likely.

Bev.   :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you so much for the replies, I've only just noticed them - I posted this question months ago and completely forgot about it as I had no replies to it back then.

I think it is missing, it isn't just one of Ancestry's glitches. I have since found out that there are a few parts of the reg district Llandilofawr ( which Dryslwyn fell under in the 51 and 71 censuses)  which are completely missing/destroyed, Llandilo  town ( which isn't that far away from Dryslwyn is one such area, and some other parts of the  reg district of Llandiofawr area the books are incomplete.

http://findmypast.com/resources/census/missingpieces.jsp

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u