Author Topic: 1881 census  (Read 775 times)

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1881 census
« on: Saturday 09 October 04 22:51 BST (UK) »
I've been looking on the LDS 1881 census and I've found a distant family member.
The entry says John Blake, place of birth LABSLING.
On the 1891 census, he is listed as being born in IRELAND.
Presumably LABSLING is somewhere in IRELAND, but where?
I thought it may have been transcribed wrongly and it could have been SLIGO, but my son had a look at the original at the record office, that said LABSLING as well.
Can anyone have a quick look and pass on any suggestions?
Thanks.
Viv
 ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv

I read your message & tried to find your John Blake on the 1881 census without success. There are hundreds of John Blakes on there & a page search for labsling didn't appear to work (could be the keyboard operator). Could you give a little more information - e.g. his age - census place.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 04 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hiya Trish,
I think I was a bit vague in my details, sorry about that!
I went on family search site, and I actually put in William ODonnell born 1862, England.
Two Williams were born in Liverpool in 1862, one was living in China Street, and the other in 15 Court, 4 House Toxteth Park, this is my William.
When I clicked on the household it shows John Blake born LABSLING occupation Labourer.
I think the enumerator has started to write the occupation in the wrong colum and not crossed it out, and the birth place could be SLIGO, or maybe there is a place called Labsling.
Anyway, thanks for your help,
Viv.
 ::) ::) ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 October 04 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again

That sure made it easier and I don't think I can add any more to what you have said. Your idea on the occupation in the wrong column sounds correct. Having done some census transcriptions, we are told to key exactly what is given - although locations are double checked against reality. Some enumerators were, I think almost illiterate, or alternatively wanting to write so quickly, they didn't consider that someone may want to read the data! Labsling is hard to find. A parish search on ireland archives returns nothing, nor does a search using parloc.
1901 Census has John Blake 54 General labourer - born Ireland (with more detail if one pays) living Leigh lancaster - but I could find no sign of Mary at the same address.

good luck with the searching
Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 04 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
Thanks for trying anyway, John Blake was Marys second husband so he's not that important really, I just thought that while I was at a dead end with my own search I could do some look ups on him.
I agree with what you say about the enumerator being almost illiterate, I've found many mistakes on censuses, wrong sex seems to be a common mistake.
Thanks again,
If you need any thing looking up in Liverpool, let me know.
Viv.
 :)