Author Topic: Spare birth certs  (Read 24939 times)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spare birth certs
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 May 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare     By pure chance I found your posts re spare birth certs and found two which were of great interest.
1/  1870 Francis Paterson, (F) Andrew Paterson (M) Helen Elliot
     Francis was a brother of my Grandmother Elizabeth Paterson. Helen Elliot was the sister of my great grandmother Janet Elliot.
2/  1891 Mary Alice Bell (F) James Elliot Bell (M) Helen Crozier Hogg
     The Janet Elliot in No1 was the mother of James Elliot Bell who was the younger brother of my grandfather Arthur Bell.
     There is a name of the family gravestone in Hawick which always puzzled me ie Maggie who died in infancy and was assumed to be a child of Arthur Bell and Janet Elliot.
     However on checking the DOB and DOD of Mary Alice they check exactly with the gravestone. Therefore I find a sixth child of James and Helen both of whom died in Callender and are buried at Bridge of Allan.
     THE PUZZLE IS SOLVED THANK YOU
For your Information the name Elliot refers to the Elliots of the "FLEX" at Hawick and the Middle name of Elliot carries on in My line to Me and my son and grandson. The First name of the eldest son has been Arthur for seven generations.
     I see the names Elliot and Bell feature in your list and you have been researching them. So if you have any more hidden gems please let me know. Always glad to help.
     Thanks again for the lead on Mary Alice.
Minto77 (Arthur Elliot Bell)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 May 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur

I will send you over a message with the transcription of the two births you have mentioned. 

The list of spares was compiled from the births I had saved from the Scotlands People.  Since they are three to a page, there are usually two on the page that aren't relevant to my research (at least yet) but may be of use to others, so I'm not necessarily researching all the names in that list.

That said, I am researching Elliots.  My maternal grandmother was an Elliot and, thus far, I have managed to get back to ca.1810 with them in Castleton parish at which point an illegitimacy has slowed me down a little.  I have no links with the name Bell or Paterson at this point - but of course, that's not to say I won't at a later date!

Thanks,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare    Thanks for the info you sent. As I mentioned it has filled in one gap on my tree only one more to find.
        You mentioned the Elliots. I have many Elliots of Newcastleton (Castleton) on my tree going back to 1725. Some of these may be of interest to your research.
        Thanks again.
        Minto77 (Arthur Elliot Bell)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthur - I will message you my current brick wall to see if you have any ideas.

thanks,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Clare! 
Rather late, but could you give me the transcription of John Johnston's birth cert?  Hawick 1863.

Thanks!

Grisel

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am especially interested in all the birth certs where Thomas Best Hay and Ann Murray are the parents.  I am 99% certain that I am related to these folks through my BEST line.  If I am correct, I would dearly love to exchange information with you!   ;D  Sincerely, Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
I am not aware that the names Best or Murray are anywhere in our tree.  John Johnston is quite a common name, isn't it?
However, I suppose we're all related somewhere:)

Grisel

Offline Danielle24

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

I know this is an old thread, but please could you send me the details of Hannah Laidlaw Fairholm 1901?

We have just discovered that my grandfather was adopted, and this name and DOB matches that of his biological mother. We have found no leads on her other than a Google search which brought up your post!

Thanks very much!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 March 16 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Danielle24

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Clare hasn't been online here for a few weeks but should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea