Author Topic: any ideas about how to solve this one?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline pisces_nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
any ideas about how to solve this one?
« on: Sunday 10 October 04 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone  :)

Has anyone got any ideas on how I go about solving this problem?

I am searching for the marriage of my 4 x great grandparents Alexander Annand and Susanna?

I have the following information so far about the couple.  Alexander was born in Scotland some time around 1790 and Susanna was born in Devon around 1788.  I don’t have christening information for either of them.

They first appear together in 1815 in Enfield, Middlesex, where they have 7 children christened at the church of St Andrew, Enfield between 1815 and 1827.  They don’t appear to have been married at St Andrew’s, Enfield between 1811 – 1815. 

In 1841 they are living at Hopper’s Lane, Winchmore Hill, Edmonton, Middlesex.
Alexander aged 50, an agricultural labourer born in Scotland
Susan, aged 45, not born Middlesex.

In 1861 they are living in Sundridge, Kent.
Alexander aged 76, a Gardener, born in Scotland.
Susan aged 78, born Devon.

I had hoped that the 1861 census may give a town or village in Devon where Susanna was born, as this would seem to be an obvious place to search for a marriage between the pair. 

I have not got them on the 1851 census yet, but do have the index details:  Sevenoaks registration district, Folio number 448a – Brasted.  I would have thought that they would be living in Sundridge at this time as well.  The details are: Alexander Annand aged 63, Susanna Annand aged 65.  I would really appreciate it if anyone has access to this census, if they could check for this family on it.  A message on the Kent look up request forum has not been successful so far and I am unable to get to the Family History centre at the moment. 

Keeping all the above information in mind, does anybody have any idea on how I could go about finding the marriage of Alexander and Susanna?  I would really appreciate any help as I have been stuck on this problem for a while now and would love to find out Susanna’s maiden name and research her family.    :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards
Kirsty in New Zealand.

By the way - I posted this here because I didn't know where else to put it, with all the different counties it involves!
Annand - London and Surrey
Stokes - Kent
Standford - Kent
Tassell - Kent

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas about how to solve this one?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 08:29 BST (UK) »
For what it is worth - Sundridge and Brasted are a gentle walk apart near Sevenoaks. I was there just yesterday.
You can buy the 1851 Index for baby money:
Here is the URL:
http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/NWKPUBS.HTM
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 04 08:30 BST (UK) »
Kirsty

Have you tried the government site in Scotland for the birth of Alexander?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I found the parish records on the site very helpful for tracing some of my ancestors.

Best wishes
Dorothy
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pisces_nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy and Hackstaple

Thank you very much for your ideas on how I could find further info regarding my ANNAND family.  I will be checking out the resources you suggested. 

Thank you and kind regards
Kirsty
Annand - London and Surrey
Stokes - Kent
Standford - Kent
Tassell - Kent