Author Topic: How to say thanks  (Read 1749 times)

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
How to say thanks
« on: Sunday 10 October 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
You know I end up feeling like a sponge in Rootschat - I am so far receiving wonderful help from different people, asking so much of them and I am unable to giveanything back other then a thanks. I wish that I could do more - How many others are feeling sthis way?
What can I do to help others - I don't have any resources for the UK but I do have some for Australia.
Are others feeling the same way?
Ashe :)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re: How to say thanks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 12:59 BST (UK) »
dear ashenique
the whole point of this site and the members herein is to help others. The fact that you are appreciative and say thanks to who-ever has helped you is enough. i expect that some time in the future you will be able to offer some advice or help to others,as its surprising how much knowledge you have picked up along the way without realising it ....
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jaq
I guess that it is that I feel that I just wish I could do something in return for them.
Ashe

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
You know I end up feeling like a sponge in Rootschat - I am so far receiving wonderful help from different people, asking so much of them and I am unable to giveanything back other then a thanks. I wish that I could do more - How many others are feeling sthis way?
What can I do to help others - I don't have any resources for the UK but I do have some for Australia.
Are others feeling the same way?
Ashe :)

Ashe

As Jaq says, the fact that you bother to say " thank you" is more than enough, believe me, there are many who do not even acknowledge the fact that you have tried to help them, let alone bother to say thanks!

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashe  ;D

I expect a lot of the overseas people feel the same way you do.

I try to do my bit by helping on the beginner's board or pointing people in the right direction to find information that will help them in their research -  or even posting useful links.

The RootsChatters who do have access to information  seem to get a great deal of satisfaction from helping others.

I imagine they only need their efforts to be rewarded with a word of thanks and appreciation.

Well, that's how it has always seemed to me ;D

Darcy ;)

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Darcy & Rick (and Jaq)
People like you have made me feel good tonight in Oz.
Keep up the great work.
It is appreciated.
Cheers
Ashe

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
SO true Rick- I'm always willing to help others.
I've paid a fortune to subscribe to some of these sites ;)I'm going to damn well make use of them. LOL!!!

No seriously,I know how exciting it is when someone helps find a long lost rellie you have been stuck on for years.So I hope that any little bit of help I can give to others,particularly those just starting out,is of use to them.This is very much a sharing sort of hobby.
Maddingly frustrating at times too.

But as you say, just a word of 'thanks' goes a long way.

So Ashe- no probs,just look out for us when we all turn up on your doorstep for a holiday in the sunshine in return for the all help !!! Hahaha...

ATB everyone,

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 October 04 14:26 BST (UK) »
I've just passed my 1 yr of family research - such a baby lol!!!  ;D

I have had massive help from many different sources, it takes a while getting on your feet and getting used to the records etc. 

But unless we are all brothers and sisters you'll find your tree is unique so your expertise will grow in a unique way.  So you may find you know more about watchmakers after just a few months of research than someone who has been researching 30 years and never had to look for watchmaker guild records... or whatever!  ;)

Another thing is a newbie now can give good advice now about getting started in the current internet environment.  It is different and quicker but fraught with different problems.

Happy digging all,
P ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 October 04 15:42 BST (UK) »
Pam

Funny you should mention Watchmakers ;) I've been stuck for years on my ancestor Joseph HEAPY either b Cheshire or Staffs b c1880 died Macclesfield? c 1850.

On all the kids marriage certs he is down as a watchmaker,it hasn't said deceased yet-but not sure I trust that.We've never even found his wife's name or birth or death records.

Is there any way he can be traced through a watchmakers guild then?

Would be very grateful for any help you can offer.
I am in touch with another lady who is also descended from him and has also been up against a brick wall for years with this one.

Carol

PS I've been tracing my lot for about 10 years,but enjoy helping others when I get fed up with mine.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk