Author Topic: Marriage areas  (Read 2947 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage areas
« on: Sunday 10 October 04 21:35 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandfather was born in Worthern Shropshire,  his wife (Mary)Ann was born in West Felton Shropshire,  there were something like 25 miles between them with Shrewsbury in the middle.  Has anyone any ideas of which area they would have married in?   Did Worthern or West Felton have churches with the right to marry folk, or would they have had to go to  Shrewsbury?
If the answer is Shrewsbury then I am right up the Orinoco with no paddles, have you SEEN the number of John Davies marriages in Shrewsbury?  Sadly I have no idea of (Mary) Anns maiden name so I cannot find them through her.
Any ideas would be appreciated.    Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage areas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
Lindy,

Both Worthen and West Felton are parishes in their own right and therefore you could find the marriage in either of these parishes - or any other in between if your ancestors moved. 

Follow this link in case any of these indexes can help you:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/MarriageIndexes.html

Since you have places of birth for them, I assume you must have them on a census.  Did they marry after 1837?  Although I appreciate your point about the number of John Davies there are.  What about the children - have you found a birth certificate which you could get to give you Mary Ann's maiden name - even if it is not your direct ancestor, but a sibling.  That was the only way round a similar brick wall for me.

Good luck

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 04 02:55 BST (UK) »
Where two people from different parishes marry, the wedding will often be in the wife's.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 04 09:11 BST (UK) »
If you are looking at church records - most of these (pre 1837) are simply the calling of the marriage banns. Often a record will exist in both parishes - and can be on different dates so it may be worth looking for records in both parishes at approx. the same time.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk