Author Topic: Romany message boards  (Read 23908 times)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romany message boards
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 13:41 BST (UK) »

Clara !

Liverpool University has a great collection !!

http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/gypsy/intro.htm

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 May 06 16:40 BST (UK) »
A new Travellers board has been added to Rootschat:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158485.0.html

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 January 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I to am having trouble finding info on my maternal gypsy gt g/parents. I've got their death certificates, but can't track down their marriage. He was a hawker all his life, she a hawkers wife. Nice easy names to find  :P  Bibby and Smith. They lived for many years in the Leigh / Southend.Essex  area.  :) Lyn

you dont say what their names are???
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 January 08 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Babygirlbill, 

ANY help you could provide would be most appreciated.  I was in touch with someone away from RootsChat who provided me with a Buckley tree from the Bexley Archives (not sure what these are - other than archives, obviously ;D).  It shows a Joiner Buckley b. circa 1810 - a Tinker - who was married to a Seni Smith.  Not much doubt this matches with your guys.  Their kids are: Santalina (male), Ganation (male), Justinia, Arkless (male), Frank, Kiomi and Noah.  The 'Kiomi' is shown as being married to Jimmy Taylor, so it's likely it was a mistranscription somewhere along the line from Naomi to Kiomi.  Just wishing my g-g-g grandfather James Taylor had slightly less common name!!  I get the feeling that my Naomi and James WERE the couple on that marriage cert (from my previous message), but unless I can find something (a baptism of one of their 10 kids?) which shows my Naomi's maiden name, it's just a hopeful theory. 

BTW the tree from the Bexley Archives shows more generations of Santalina and Frank. 

I've attached a pic - the only one we have - of my grandmother Clara Naomi Skingley (daughter of Susan Taylor - so one half pure Romany, other half rural Essex girl from way back).  She died aged 28 in 1943 when my mother was only 4. 

The circumstances surrounding her death were very sad - this is what I've so far discovered ... Clara became pregnant to someone else while my grandfather, Harry Blackman, was away at sea during WW2 and either she was booted out or he left and took their two children with him when he returned.  She died of pneumonia and complications of the childbirth.  The child, named Veronica Blackman on the birth cert (registered by Clara 6 weeks before she died) was adopted by people so far unknown but suspected of being relatives of Susan Taylor's second husband Benjamin Owen (Thomas Skingley, the first, died in WW1).  The adoptive parents changed her surname so she'd never find out the circumstances surrounding her birth (or, of course, her true background).  So, somewhere out there my mum has a half sister - someone who is probably completely unaware of her 1/4 Rom heritage.

Then, less than a year later, Susan Taylor herself died.  I'm currently waiting for the death cert ... but a descendant of one of Susan and Benjamin Owen's children has said that there's an old family rumour that Susan tried to kill herself because she was so upset over daughter Clara's death - but ended up in a mental institution when her suicide attempt failed.  The alternative rumour going about in the family was that, while running to an air raid shelter in the dark during the Blitz, she collided with a beam that was shoring up a bomb-damaged house - receiving a fatal blow to the head.  Either way, my great grandma died at 52, regardless.  Of what ... and exactly where ... watch this space!

BFN, Sarah
i have a kiomi/niomi in my tree who is married to james taylor. she was the daughter of seni & joiner buckley/smith. let me know if you would like any info on them, although i dont have much i have to say. but you never know till you ask, do you and every bit helps with these travelling people.
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 January 08 18:29 GMT (UK) »
hi all,
anyone know how i would look at the bexley archives on-line for the buckley tree that britgirl has mentioned. thank you.
m. :-\
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline NSMBW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 March 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
hi clara iam new to this site i was just reading about jane pannell do you think that she could have known a traveller by the name of ernest, onnie, ommie smith around 1900 1910 dont now excet date doing a family tree ernest smith was my husband GGRANDDAD any info would be great thanks

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 March 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

You asked <<Anyone else fumbling with a Taylor - Lee - Smith - Buckley jigsaw out there?  Let's compare notes and see if we can't make some sense out of them!>>

Yes - I am too. There are quite a few of us on this message board who share your interests. I'll check through my Taylor file to see if I have any baptisms that might give you the evidence you need as to Naomi's surname.

Best wishes
Sharon

Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline thboysmummy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I am related to the romany Proudleys of sussex horsham area also saunders,mitchell,Jones & rays to name a few they sure are a difficult bunch to research. quite often than not the children did take thier mothers name as their parents were not married this happened right up until my nan being born although she was not even aware of this until 10 years ago.

Offline angela_curtis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
hiya ..ive recently come interested in finding out information about my grandfather etc who were romamy gypsies ,,his name was CHARLES JACK CURTIS and lived in Wallasey, Wirral but i also know he had relatives down in Norwich? can anyone lead me in the right direction on how too find out more about my roots..many thanks..Angela
romany gypsy - Curtis