Author Topic: Romany message boards  (Read 23990 times)

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Romany message boards
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 14:19 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Is this all the Romany messages so far?!  Not many, hey? (Or are they hiding elsewhere?).

Here's my twopence worth ...

I'm looking for Taylor Romanies who seem to have travelled in the Suffolk and Norfolk areas and subsequently settled in West Ham (Canning Town, Plaistow). 

My great grandmother was Susan Taylor (b. 1891 - Plaistow) and her father was Alger Taylor / Algar Taylor (b. abt. 1862 - probably Suffolk).  Mother Naomi's maiden name kept changing on the other siblings' birth certs from Lee to Smith and back again (gah! ... just don't ask!  Romany family research is enough to make you tear your hair out sometimes). 

I found a 1879 marriage cert for an Alger Taylor and Naomi Lee (Alger son of James Taylor - Carman and Naomi daughter of Benjamin Lee - Traveller) ... but a likely birth cert acquisition for Naomi - which showed her mother as Naomi Lee formerly Smith - showed father as Thomas Lee  ???

Alger/Algar's father was James Taylor (b. abt the early 1840's, again probably in Suffolk) and his mother was also a Naomi ... a possibly-connected marriage cert points to her being a Buckley (daughter of Joiner Buckley, Licensed Hawker) - but because not a one of Naomi and James' 10 kids' births were registered I can't verify her maiden name and whether that marriage cert was actually hers  >:(

Anyone else fumbling with a Taylor - Lee - Smith - Buckley jigsaw out there?  Let's compare notes and see if we can't make some sense out of them!

Had to laugh about the "fiery tempers and short fuses" quote ... the Taylors are on my mum's side and that describes her to a 'T'  - I love her lots, though!    ;)

Sarah

Offline exessexgirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My lovely Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all. I to am having trouble finding info on my maternal gypsy gt g/parents. I've got their death certificates, but can't track down their marriage. He was a hawker all his life, she a hawkers wife. Nice easy names to find  :P  Bibby and Smith. They lived for many years in the Leigh / Southend.Essex  area.  :) Lyn
exessexgirl :)<br />
White, Curtis, Lockyer, Drew - St. Pancras
Collins & Catlin of Benington / Ardeley Herts,
Collins, Dunkley, Poole,  of Hackney, Edmonton,Shoreditch
Allens, Clapham,  of Islington.
DeAth.... of Shoreditch.
Gladden & Laker of Shoreditch / Bethnal Green
Bibbys, Smith, Webb, Buckley  of  Essex
Blessed and Wade Spalding Lincolnshire
Pullen, Weedon & Skipps of Hackney and Essex.
Danahar of Bethnal Green
Caddy - Stafford

Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline shahnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Names are  very important when chasing our elusive ansestors with the our people!
Dosnt surprise me about the Buckly/Smith /Lee connections  as its quite a family affair der - as many of these 3 famillies intermarried - i no many with grandparent navs of Buckly/Smith/Lee or combinations of all three! These are famous Rom names - as some of u may b aware!
A suggestion is to "google" the navs - dat has worked for me!
Some of the well renown fammillies have der own sites and geneiolgy - so its useful to check the tree and see it your releative is der!
Hope you were all able to take a lookat the www.journeyfolki.org.uk, its there for all Gypsy and Travellar folki and descendants - there is no concerns wether you are half, quater, eighth etc - you have a wondergful heritage to explore and this can only further your knowledge and inspire your life.
Does anybody reconise the surmname Cannes? Would be greatful if anyone has heard of this nav or perhaps said parents/grandparents may know the nav?
If youre able to help please post back here and let me know would you?
To all those Buckley/Smith/Lee descendants - those navs will be far easier to find then some of the less well known navs of the Romany so dont give up - and with those navs many Romany and Travellar Sites will reconsise the navs and be able to help - wishing you all the best!
kushti bok!
SHAHNEE CANNES XXX

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
In reply to Britgals post

The bit about Naomi being a daughter of Joiner Buckley sort of rings a bell to me

I have a Joiner Buckley - who lived around Suffolk - who is my g-g-g-g grandad -he had quite a few children, Frank Buckley being one of them, but he also had a daughter by the name of Naomi, however im not sure who she married to, Joiner was married to a lady called Sarah (or Seni) Smith

If this helps let me know and i will try and find out some more information for you :)

Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Babygirlbill, 

ANY help you could provide would be most appreciated.  I was in touch with someone away from RootsChat who provided me with a Buckley tree from the Bexley Archives (not sure what these are - other than archives, obviously ;D).  It shows a Joiner Buckley b. circa 1810 - a Tinker - who was married to a Seni Smith.  Not much doubt this matches with your guys.  Their kids are: Santalina (male), Ganation (male), Justinia, Arkless (male), Frank, Kiomi and Noah.  The 'Kiomi' is shown as being married to Jimmy Taylor, so it's likely it was a mistranscription somewhere along the line from Naomi to Kiomi.  Just wishing my g-g-g grandfather James Taylor had slightly less common name!!  I get the feeling that my Naomi and James WERE the couple on that marriage cert (from my previous message), but unless I can find something (a baptism of one of their 10 kids?) which shows my Naomi's maiden name, it's just a hopeful theory. 

BTW the tree from the Bexley Archives shows more generations of Santalina and Frank. 

I've attached a pic - the only one we have - of my grandmother Clara Naomi Skingley (daughter of Susan Taylor - so one half pure Romany, other half rural Essex girl from way back).  She died aged 28 in 1943 when my mother was only 4. 

The circumstances surrounding her death were very sad - this is what I've so far discovered ... Clara became pregnant to someone else while my grandfather, Harry Blackman, was away at sea during WW2 and either she was booted out or he left and took their two children with him when he returned.  She died of pneumonia and complications of the childbirth.  The child, named Veronica Blackman on the birth cert (registered by Clara 6 weeks before she died) was adopted by people so far unknown but suspected of being relatives of Susan Taylor's second husband Benjamin Owen (Thomas Skingley, the first, died in WW1).  The adoptive parents changed her surname so she'd never find out the circumstances surrounding her birth (or, of course, her true background).  So, somewhere out there my mum has a half sister - someone who is probably completely unaware of her 1/4 Rom heritage.

Then, less than a year later, Susan Taylor herself died.  I'm currently waiting for the death cert ... but a descendant of one of Susan and Benjamin Owen's children has said that there's an old family rumour that Susan tried to kill herself because she was so upset over daughter Clara's death - but ended up in a mental institution when her suicide attempt failed.  The alternative rumour going about in the family was that, while running to an air raid shelter in the dark during the Blitz, she collided with a beam that was shoring up a bomb-damaged house - receiving a fatal blow to the head.  Either way, my great grandma died at 52, regardless.  Of what ... and exactly where ... watch this space!

BFN, Sarah

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara
I can recommend this site http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/romany_roots/
(actually not just Kent)-there are two active message boards and they have proved useful in locating living rellies connected to my tree. Here's a tip though-take a look at the previous messages before posting (some have a style of wording which get no answers at all, others get lots of help ;))
good luck
Monique
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Monique!  :)

Will check out the site.....

best wishes
Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline shahnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there, sarshin?

The other spelling to the nav Cannes, i'm informed, maybe Cairnes, is this reconisable to anyone?
Also does anyone know the nav Ellwood?
thank you for your time, much appreciated!
My best wishes,
kushti bok!

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
Reply to Britgal

Hi thanks for the reply, yes thats my family.  I have seen her down as Kiomi too so she either registered herself under different names (as they tend to do) or it was just misinterpreted.

I have forwarded your query onto someone away from this board who knows a lot more about this then me, i met her on a Newham family history board, if you want more information about people living in Canning Town, West Ham etc its a really good place to go

http://apps.newham.gov.uk/forums/localhistory/start.pl

heres the link, why not leave a post on there?

Do you have a copy of the tree from the Bexley archives, as i dont really have much info apart from there names, I have a book about Buckleys, which is taking from the Journals of the Gypsy Lore Society - shes down as Kiomi in that, married to a Jimmy Taylor.

Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams