Author Topic: Wedges Camp  (Read 29575 times)

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Wedges Camp
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
During the early part of 1940 my sister was sent to a place called Wedges Camp Farm, we think it was in Sussex and that it was mainly for undernorished children.   Does anyone know what the place was for and exactly where it was?

Many thanks in advance

Kay
Names and areas of interest: Banks, Hibbs & Williams - Lancs:  Burchnall - Cambs, Lincs & Leics: Cox - Lincs & Leics: Price & Cook - Worcs & Leics: Cheal, Lashmar and Hammond - Sussex.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

It was in Itchingfield in Sussex and it would appear that West Sussex Record Office hold the records for the school (ref. E/113A).

A special school for the provision of education under open air conditions for children whose physical condition required it. Established by the West Sussex and Hampshire County Councils 1946; closed in 1956. The school was on a National Camps Corporation Site.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

Many thanks for that information.

Regards
Kay
Names and areas of interest: Banks, Hibbs & Williams - Lancs:  Burchnall - Cambs, Lincs & Leics: Cox - Lincs & Leics: Price & Cook - Worcs & Leics: Cheal, Lashmar and Hammond - Sussex.

Offline Maggie-B

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Kay,
Saw your note about Wedges. I was a pupil there in 1949 and 1950. The headmaster was Mr Pearmain. The girls had three dormatories - Lister, Fry and Nightingale. I was in Nightingale. The housemistresses were Miss Littlewood (who was 6' tall!!) and Miss Swaine. Would your sister remember Mrs Gardener who was a teacher there. A very kind man.
It was compulsory to do cross country runs every week - no matter what the weather. Country dancing on the playground as well.
Fond memories of the lumpy porridge - but we had fun and I loved it.
Have recently visited the site and it now is an upmarket housing estate.
Let me know if this helps.
Maggie-B.

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,  thanks for the Wedges info.  Unfortunately my sister is in hospital at present up in the North.  But next time I see or speak to her I will ask her about the people you mention.

Regards
Kay

Offline Tilda Mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp Sussex
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
My brother and I spent a term at Wedges Camp School in 1948 and 1949. I loved it .  I think I was in Lister House. The only boarder I remember is Margaret Clarke who was my age 10 or 11 years old and I think she lived near Hayling Island.

I would love to hear from anyone who went to Wedges.

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 11 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tilda,

My sister was Shirley Cheal - I sent for details of Wedges from the Record Office and her name was on the register.  My other sister and I weren't old enough to go but I do have memories of visiting the farm.  Also of the song that everyone sang "Here  we are at Wedges Farm, far, far away etc etc!

Regards
Kay

Offline Tilda Mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I will get in touch with the West Sussex Records Office and  try to get more information.  I do not remember a great deal about my time there except I loved it and the bits I do remember is all good.

I lived in Horndean and remember my mother taking me to Havant to catch a coach that took a bus load of children to Wedges.  I remember a large playing field, a wood where I loved to play and going for long walks.  I do not think I was ever home-sick but loved receiving letters from home.  I think my mother used to visit once a month which was a long bus journey for her from Horndean.

Do you remember anymore verses of the Wedges song?

Thank you Maggie B for your memories.  We may have been there at the same time.

Regards,

Tilda

Offline lashmar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tilda
I know it's a bit late in coming but after scratching the head and talking to my other sister this is what we came up with on the Camp song:
All we get is bread and scraps 3 times a day,
Mum and Dad we never see
get no sugar in our tea
we are the Jubilee
far far way

Mummy, Daddy take me home from this convelesant  home
I've been here a week or two
now  I want to be with you
Good bye Mr Permain,
good bye teachers too
Good bye ??????? and  a jolly good riddance to you!

Does that bring back further memories!?
Regards
Kay