Author Topic: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)  (Read 21576 times)

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
James Stewart born 7th March1884 not 1886.just checked family bible

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
If you look at the online OS map on the National Library of Scotland website bring up the sheet for Banfshire 003.08 Published 1904 Rev 1902

The three fields immediately south of the Quarry and the Bathing House add up to approx 12 acres and there is a building in the corner of the south east part of the field. Possibly the croft?

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
I don't think I have any connection with the Marble Grays (although I can trace my direct Gray ancestry back to well before 1700 in Birkenbog, Fordyce, also Inaltrie, Deskford), but our paths cross twice!

George Taylor (wife Jessie Geddes) was farmer at Cultain or Meikle Cultain (as far as I can tell the same place, neither being Little Cultain along the road) in 1901, having been there for over thirty years and then being age 62. My Geddes folks were at the neighbouring Cotton Croft for well over 120 years (until 1970s).

Do you know more about your James Stewart's tenancy at Cultain? I'm presuming George Taylor simply retired (he died in 1912) and James Stewart took over at Whit 1901. He owned a couple of properties in Fordyce Village, so would have been quite comfortably off. His MI in Deskford has him 'late of Cultain'.

Separately, I have a John George Gray born 1894 at Knowes Deskford to James Gray & Jessie Ann Alexander. His Grays had been at Meikle Knowes probably from the marriage in 1849 of Walter Gray & Ann Gibb; they are related to me via Walter Gray's mother Janet Wright. Given the 'John George' and the proximity of Knowes and Cultain, do you recognise any of these names?

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 September 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
In reply to deebel that is where I thought marble quarries  croft to be.The Taylor that was here -Cultain -retired to Keith I was told naming his house there Cultain.His wife died before that extract from McWillie Diary's.May have been 1902 that Stewarts came to Cultain but it was May term anyway.I'll take in the rest and think. Geddes were in Cotton Croft my Grandad  and them were friendly cycled to Broughty Ferry and back in a day to see my grandad s sister. Jean off to South Africa!

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
In reply to Fordyce am sorry but none of those names ring a bell.Iwas aware of Grays on Meikle Knowes at that time Wilsons of the diary fame( it is available from St Andrews University history dept)were in little Knowes leaving for Burns yr after we came to Meikle Cultain to give it it,s full title.However my grandads wife Elsie Cooper were in Little Knowesaround 1909 she had an uncle? John Cooper who was vet in Fordyce married to a Jessie Gray Jessie born at Milton(Milltown) in 1839.Daughter of George Gray and Elizabeth Whyntie who were married at Milltown
Also have John Gray in France Nov 14 along with the rest of the Stuart bros he is down as born Fordyce however listed as killed.Further to the tenancy of Cultain I was always told that the Taylors had been in Cultain for along time possible that George Taylor being second generation and that when he gave up farm that he was very unfit and not really able to do the work.Seafield renewed most of the buildings at that time a new dwelling house having been built some yrs earlier.Seems strange we have the Ann Alexander George James forenames all cropping which are Stewart family names.Think am right in saying there were Taylors in langlanburn at this time

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 September 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart 1. I didn't get a notification, so I've only just seen your reply. I can't reply properly right now. I do have my own copy of the Wilson Diaries. I also have a photocopy of an unpublished manuscript being an extension to the diaries called 'My Gleanings' or similar (I cannot lay my hands on it at the moment - too much paperwork everywhere!).

I'll get back to you as soon as poss.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 September 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart 1

Thanks for extra info on Geo Taylor at Cultain. Re its name, in the OS Name Books it's recorded as simply 'Cultain' (by its tenant George Lawtie and its proprietor, so I take that as being definitive), and as such in 1861 too. There is no 'Little Cultain'. This suggests Cultain only became Meikle Cultain when Little Cultain was built. George Taylor was ensconced by 1871, with mother and sister.

<<The Taylor that was here -Cultain -retired to Keith I was told naming his house there Cultain>>
Yes, it was 'Cultain Cottage' Back St, Keith, which I suggest is today's 'Cultain House', 78 Back St, Keith.

<<His wife died before that extract from McWillie Diary's.>>
I don't understand that. His wife Jessie Geddes died 18-6-1925.
He married age 50 in 1889, giving himself as a bachelor, which is confirmed by earlier censuses.

Re John Cooper vet. His wife Jessie Gray is related to me down a collateral line - 3rd cousin 4-times removed to be precise. Her father, George Gray, and John George Gray's gdfather, Walter Gray, were brothers. Their mother was Janet Wright, d/o Anne Andrew, d/o Walter Andrew my 6x-gtgdfather who was born 1708 in Pittenbringand, Cullen.

<<Also have John Gray in France Nov 14 along with the rest of the Stuart bros he is down as born Fordyce however listed as killed.>>
I don't know him, but my records are by no means complete.

<<Geddes were in Cotton Croft my Grandad  and them were friendly cycled to Broughty Ferry and back in a day to see my grandad s sister.>>
That's one heck of a journey on one day by pushbike - that's a 240 mile round trip. Somebody's exaggerating, unless it was by motor bike!

My gtgdfather Peter Geddes was born at Cotton Croft in 1854. His mother, Margaret Smith, was the oldest person in Scotland when she died at Cotton Croft in 1921 aged 104, her gdson George Geddes (Postie) taking over the croft.

So, it sounds as though it was Postie who had a postman's holiday to Broughty Ferry!

Have you any other tidbits about Cotton Croft? Postie's gdson is still alive and kicking in Buckie, and interested in the family history - he's never mentioned the Broughty Ferry trip (but why would he?) so anything you can add would really be appreciated.

Offline jasminegray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Jasmine born in Malaysia. My father is Barry son of Horace Gerald Gray who passed away in Kuching, Malaysia. He had the first radio shop in Kuching. Horace was married 3 times and my father was from his third and last marriage to Florence who is half Spanish, half Filipino. If I am not mistaken, my great grandfather was William George Gray who migrated to Malaysia and served as a headmaster at an all boys catholic school. He was the son of Alexander Gray from Portsoy and I believe he was a farmer.

My family and I are now living in England. Can anyone shed some more light on our family history.

Thanks! 

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jasmine
 Think you are on the right wavelength excuse the pun. When did your G Grandfather emigrate if you don't mind me asking.My great uncle George Stuart  died in Malaysia.His mother my great grandmother  was a Gray.Have a contact who knows the Gray history.Stewart