Author Topic: Dilworth family name  (Read 32915 times)

Offline PAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dilworth family name
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 November 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,
         Great to hear from you, I have found your birth, and added you to my tree.  I'm not here long enough to send you a PM.  When I am able to PM, I will give you details to access my tree, which goes back to late1700's.  I vaguely remember going to see your dad, Jack, in Cork St., and your brother Bobby calling to Bunting Rd..  I am the youngest of Dan & Peg's 13 children.  Unfortunately, we have lost two brothers and one sister.  I am attaching a photograph of Dan & Peg in O'Connell St., no date!  We seem to have lost a lot of the photographs we had, after my Ma died, so if you have any of your family, I would love to see them.  I look forward to hearing from you,
Regards,
              Peter

Offline Jim2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the photo of your Mum and Dad. Like yourself I was the last born and when my mother died there was very little photos or information left, the photos seemed to be dispersed. I had a small amount of old ones in a cardboard box but having moved house up to four times can't find them anywhere, perhaps the last place to search is the attic.
I got some information which you may be interested in - there are eight people buried in the grave in Preston.
The owner of the grave was Mary Ellen Dilworth  7 Upper Walker Street.
Anyone requiring a list of these people contact Jim2011 by Personal Message.

Regards Jim 2011

Offline LimerickLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 January 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Happy new year to you, I was on to my cousin Donal Casey about you. We have the same grandmother Annie Walsh, here is an extract from his email, which will be of interest to you and your cousins.

That’s good about James Dilworth’s * Dilworth is a doctor with a practice in Dublin ? I’m sure Marie Chichignoud (Dilworth), a granddaughter of John, living in France and very interested in the family history would be interested in contacting him. Unfortunately Marie is not directly on the internet, I’ve got her husband’s email * , however, they don’t seem to check it very often, so I use either phone or ‘snail mail’, details as follows (feel free to forward to James’s grandson):-
 Mrs. Marie Chichignoud
Phone +*

Regards

Tom

(*) Moderator Comment: personal details (e-mail, phone number and address etc) removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline caxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 September 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
If either Peter or Jim are still monitoring this thread, I've discovered Limerick CBS school registers referring to the sons of John & James Dilworth.
James  dob   15-3-1903
Daniel  dob   8-7-1904
Clement dob None 
Eric (son of John) dob 5-8-1913

This photograph was taken by the photographer 'Franz S. Haselbeck’ in Limerick, of a couple on an electric bicycle, I beleive it to be James Dilworth and his wife.

There are also photographs of the Bicycle shop in Limerick and of James's brother John, held by his family.

Donal Casey

Offline caxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 September 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
JIM2011

Information on the exact whereabouts of John Dilworth's grave can be found here: http://mountsaintlawrence.limerick.ie/content/john-dilworth-1829

Donal Casey

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 September 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Going back to the original query and noticing Dee Melodys help I took that further
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation really does focus on the Dilworth /Dillworth population in Ireland before the 1860s, being in six civil parishes
ARMAGH    MULLAGHBRACK
ARMAGH    SEAGOE
ARMAGH    TARTARAGHAN
TYRONE    CLONFEACLE
TYRONE    DONAGHENRY
TYRONE    KILLYMAN
These consisted of over 55 entries consisting of homesteads and a few just renting land The majority of some 40 focused into the civil parish of  of Killyman Co Tyrone

There were others of course who escaped the Griffith valuation, there are 6 in Co Down just in the 1860’s as no doubt later Limerick
Analyzing them further for clues, my suggestions for further investigation include
DILWORTH    GEORGE    TYRONE    KILLYMAN
DILWORTH    JAMES    ARMAGH    SEAGOE
DILWORTH    JAMES    ARMAGH    SEAGOE
DILWORTH    JAMES    ARMAGH    TARTARAGHAN
DILWORTH    JAMES    TYRONE    KILLYMAN
DILWORTH    JAMES    TYRONE    KILLYMAN
One can look up the date  eg George in the townland of Lowertown in Killyman has 13 good quality acres and a reasonable house valued at £1-15 shillings, compared to lowest worth 5 shillings per annum, or they are excluded from the listings
There were others of course who escaped the Griffith valuation, there are 6 in Co Down just in the 1860’s

So you need to check if anyone has copy of any surviving records church records eg familysearch .com, , I go to the PRONI website so for example for Killyman, their records are
KILLYMAN, COS ARMAGH AND TYRONE
C.I. Annaghmore
[see under LOUGHGALL]
C.I. Brackaville
[see under DONAGHENRY]
C.I. Killyman (Armagh diocese)
Baptisms, 1745-1871; marriages, 1741-1845; burials,
1745-1875; vestry minutes, 1756-1894; confirmations,
Baptisms, 1872-; marriages, 1845-; burials, 1876-;
registers of vestrymen, 1870-.
MIC583/33-35
In local custody
M. Kinnego
Baptisms, 1874-. (At Moy Church but earlier entries at
Armagh Church) In local custody
M. Laghey
Baptisms, 1830-. (At Dungannon) In local custody
R.C. Killyman
[Forms part of the Roman Catholic parish of
Dungannon – see under DRUMGLASS]

I cant help further , good luck onwards to all, terrific pics JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline choc lover

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 May 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at variations of the name 'Dilworth'?  For instance my Dilworth ancestors came from Seagoe or towns close, in the County of Armagh, Ireland.  Looking at my own tree and following the Dilworth male line after my grandmother, it looks like this:  Sarah Dilworth - James Dilworth - Richard Dilworth - William Dilworth - William Dilworth - William Dillard.  So some time in say, the first third of the 18th century, a Dillard decided to change to Dilworth.  I can't remember all variations I have seen to date, but some include Dilleworth, Dillworth and Dullard.  There appears to be a link to a town called Dilworth an ancient township in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England, which today is part of the small town of Longridge.
Regards

Offline the Moy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 June 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was a Dilworth from Killyman Tyrone. Unfortunately she died in childbirth and her only daughter Elizabeth Graham was born in the early 1900s and brought up by her Grandfather (I believe James Dilworth) in Killyman, Tyrone Ireland.

Killyman is just outside Coalisland county Tyrone but Elizaabeth and her family are strongly associated with the Moy county Tyrone, again just a short distance from Killyman.

The family would have considered themselves Ulster Scots, as throughout the 1800s and early 1900s many of the residents would have originated in Scotland.

There are still a number of Dilworths living around Killyman today.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 June 22 19:39 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, the Moy  :)

Killyman is just outside Coalisland county Tyrone but Elizaabeth and her family are strongly associated with the Moy county Tyrone, again just a short distance from Killyman.

Here's the link to the civil parish of Killyman, between Coalisland and the Moy. Click in '+' once to see the locations.

https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/killyman2/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo