Author Topic: Burgoyne / Burgon family  (Read 3960 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Burgoyne / Burgon family
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on the Burgon / Burgoyne Family

George Burgon (b 1836 berwick, Scotland) married Agnes Fanny Horsburgh (b Aug 1844 Coldingham) on 30 Aug 1870

They had 10 children

PETER 1860 BERWICK
JAMES ALEXANDER 1868 BERWICK
ALEXANDER 1870 BERWICK
GEORGE 1871 BERWICK
DAVID 1874 BERWICK ON TWEED
WILLIAM D 1876 BERWICK ON TWEED
JANE 1878 BERWICK ON TWEED
ELIZABETH 1880 BERWICK ON TWEED
BENJAMIN 1886 EYEMOUTH
AGNES 1890 BERWICK ON TWEED

George Burgon changed his name to BURGOYNE went on to marry Jane Organ (b 1871) in Nov 1895. They had 12 children.

GEORGE  -  DATE UNKNOWN
BENJAMIN  -  DATE UNKNOWN
JENNY -  DATE UNKNOWN
LILY -  DATE UNKNOWN
NELLIE  -  DATE UNKNOWN
AGNES - DATE UNKNOWN
HENRIETTA - 1898 NORTH SHIELDS
THOMAS LAUDER - 1907
DAVID - 1908 WALLSEND
VICTOR - 1912 TYNESIDE
CLIFFORD - 1914 TYNESIDE
SEPTIMUS - 1915 DIED AS A BABY

I have managed to find relatives of George, Agnes, Henrietta, Thomas, David and Clifford but the others are a mystery. Some of the info I have is not complete as far as dates are concerned.

All the children of the above are 3rd cousins of my husband. Their common ancestor is Alexander Horsburgh (father of Agnes fanny Horsburgh and hubby's Great Grandmother Jane Horsburgh) and Elizabeth Blackhall.

I am tying to complete this branch of the family and would be grateful of any info from anyone (especially relatives)

Thanks in advance for reading

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burgoyne / Burgon family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
hi i think we have been in contact before i have a jane downie in my family married a burgon in 1912 both from north shields sorry thats all the info i have tho  lila
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lila

Do you have the name of the Burgon she married or his parents names?
That would help me track down who she is

Have we been in contact on RC or elsewhere?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 13:38 BST (UK) »
hi carol it was on here a few months back sorry i have no other info for you when i started looking for my downie family i visited an aunt who told me about this connection with the burgon family and i think i found marrage on bmd i have had it written down for months but no details i know that  the burgons had a big family and a lot of them lived in the north shields area tho sorry i cant help you more      lila
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
The Burgon's I have who would have been old enough to marry in 1912 are the following

Alexander born 1881
Benjamin born 1886
David born 1874
George born 1875
Hugh born 1874
James born 1878
John born 1875
Peter born 1879
Wiliam born 1886

Do any of these names link at all?

Or could it have been Burgoyne? One of the Burgon's changed his name to Burgoyne for some reason that we have never been able to figure out

Carol

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 06 14:26 BST (UK) »
well carol just had a look on ancestory and it says joseph b burgon dont know if that helps or confuses you more i got wrong year tho its 1913      lila

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
maybe its another family carol and not your lot unusual name tho and living in same area?

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 September 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Just checked through my Burgons and Burgoynes and no Joseph so possibly one of our lot but one that I haven't looked down yet

When you get some more info let me know as we might be able to link further back

Carol

Offline Jean2001

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 January 18 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My maiden name is Burgoyne. My grandfather was Benjamin Burgoyne, born in Eyemouth. It was always a family mystery why he was Burgoyne but some of his brothers were Burgon, but he, like George Burgon must have changed his name. The family lived in South Shields but my grandfather lived in Wallsend when he was married and my Dad said his brother lived next door when he was young. My dad's Aunt Aggie[Agnes] Burgon lived in North Shields and I can remember visiting her when I was young.
Regards
Jean