Author Topic: Burgoyne / Burgon family  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Burgoyne / Burgon family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Just been talking to my friend about your post her family are North Shields Burgons descending from Eyemouth
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Roddy Burgoyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm just trying to get my posts up so I can PM.  But interested in tracing the Burgon/Burgoyne family.  Especially to figure out the name change.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
George Burgon changed his name to BURGOYNE went on to marry Jane Organ (b 1871) in Nov 1895.

Possible registrations:

GEORGE  -  DATE UNKNOWN  GRO site, Q4 1900 Tynemouth, MMN Organ
BENJAMIN  -  DATE UNKNOWN GRO site, Q1 1905 Tynemouth, MMN Organ
JENNY -  DATE UNKNOWN GRO site, Jane Q3 1903 Tynemouth, MMN Organ
NELLIE  -  DATE UNKNOWN  GRO site, Ellen Q3 1897 Tynemouth, MMN Organ

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
I'm just trying to get my posts up so I can PM.  But interested in tracing the Burgon/Burgoyne family.  Especially to figure out the name change.

As far as they were concerned the name may never have changed, but whoever was writing it down decided which spelling to use.

Unless you have specific documents signed by the individual using one spelling then later using another, then the chances are the spelling was decided by whoever wrote the name down at any particular time, with or without consultation with the person concerned.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 March 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
AGNES - DATE UNKNOWN GRO site, Q2 1896 Tynemouth, MMN Orgen

Lily still evading my searches

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 March 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
A free search of the 1911 census on Family Search shows that at that time they had 8 children listed with them.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWM6-J1W

If you have access to one of the sites who have the images, that should tell you how many children had been born to the marriage and how many were still living (we aren't allowed to do look ups in 1911).

I can't find a birth / death reg that fits, but it would seem that Lily was born and died too soon, in between census years.

EDIT, found a very likely registration:  Free BMD Q1 1919, Tynemouth,  Lilian BURGON,mmn ORGON

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 March 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
1939 Census (again we aren't allowed to do look ups)

A free search for Surname Burgoyne, no birth year specified and Tynemouth (which will bring up everyone in the Tynemouth CB area) shows a bunch in Wallsend which look promising
If you don't have access, repeat the free search for each first name and specify one of the other first names in the advanced search as a person in the same household. Do enough searches with first names/another name and you'll get the stated birth year for each person and be fairly sure they are likely to be in the same household.

There is :
George (b1872) -  birth year not as you stated but that may depend on who gave the info/how accurate the transcription is
Jane (b1874) - same scenario for birth year as above
Benjamin (b1905)
Victor (b1912)
Lilian (b1918) - who has an amended (later married) surname of Munroe
George W (b1900)
and another person whose details are redacted as they are possibly still alive, or died after the register was last updated.

Certainly worth buying a few credits to see the image I think

Boo

Offline Roddy Burgoyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 April 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

thanks for your help so far.  Interesting stuff!  Genealogy is all new to me so progress my end will probably be a tad slow.