Author Topic: Horsburgh Family  (Read 22643 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Horsburgh Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding Sarah Mansfield's family, parents marriage shows on 13 Oct 1850 at Isleham, Cambridge, England on

At least two births also show on http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start , no first names, just male births on 14 Jul 1861 and 29 Oct 1863 both in Franklin, Tasmania. I am not having any luck finding them as yet on the English 1851 census (could they already have left for Australia following their marriage in 1850?). From the family tree I mentioned earlier, the oldest son showing there, Elijah, was born on 01 JAN 1854 in Hobart, Tasmania, so migration between those 5 years most likely.

I am not sure how accurate this is, given we have found a likely marriage for Eliza Brown in England in 1850:

BROWN Two convicts, Elijah Brown and Joseph Brown were tried at the Cambridge Assizes 20 March 1844 and sentenced for 15 years. They left Woolwich 9 June 1844. Both left Norfold Island in December 1846 for Hobart and both applied to bring out their families from England. Elijah's sister Eliza Brown arrived in 1853 and married James Mansfield. Their children were born at Franklin. Elijah had a brother Isaac Brown (bapt. 1823-1903). Isaac Brown leased from Elijah Brown of Franklin the New Inn Hotel and farm on 50 acres at Glazier's Bay (VR62). He is listed with Charles Brown as living at Glaziers Bay in 1867 (MDT). Thomas Brown and Eliza Batchelor had two children (1884 and 1890). Eliza Brown died in 1905 in Port Cygnet (death notice Mercury)...cont. here  http://coad.perso.sfr.fr/names.htm

Possible 1841 census entry in Isleham for Elizabeth Brown:

Robert Brown 50
Elizebeth Brown 50
Elijah Brown 20
Isaac Brown 18
Sarah Brown 15
Eliza Brown 9

HO107; Piece 73; Book: 8; Folio: 22; Page: 39

Monica

PS. Peter, I'll stop here and let you work through all the links and info  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you very much for your imput. It seems I still have a lot to learn in gathering information. I will now try and sort out your entries and try and piece them together.

You seem so good at this, I wonder if you can help with one on MY family side. I am trying to go back beyond a William Blandon, born 30 November 1813 in Theberton, Suffolk, and died 1902 in Blything, Suffolk. All I know is his mother's name was Harriot. I have all his children's details.

According to freebdm, he married a Charlotte Booth in the June quarter of 1853 in Blything, Suffolk. I have found no details regarding Charlotte. The Blandon name does not appear in Rootschat's list of surnames.

Hope you can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Peter

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Can I give you a suggestion? Rather than moving on to another surname on this Horsburgh post, why don't you put up a new post on the Suffolk board here on RC www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,35.0.html

More people will see it and add. Also, people with experience of Suffolk resources will also be able to contribute better  :) I'll follow you over too!

Monica

PS: There are at least two couples named William Blandon and Charlotte in Suffolk in the period you are looking at...One Charlotte possibly surname Glenister, the other Booth (yours). When you put your new post up, make sure you include the names of the children you have confirmed. Likely your William Blandon was born later, c. 1829. This can all be confirmed with census entries etc.

Offline poppy57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 September 10 06:09 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Mary Horsburgh Spiers.  Her father was Samuel Horsburgh, mother was Janet.  I know that one of her siblings was Alex Munro (Horsburgh), his daughter was the actress Janet Munro.

I am interested in finding out more about the Horsburgh family.  I have only managed to find out bits and pieces.  The reason for this is that Mary had my mother out of wedlock, my mum was put up for adoption as a baby. 

Mary tried to get my mum back at the age of 2, there was a court case, my mum's adopted parents won and were allowed to keep her.  Mary was granted access to my mum from then on and visited us regularly from the USA until she died around 1975.  The sad thing is that I was always told that she was my Aunt Mary, I didn't know that she was my grandmother until after she died.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 September 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Are you trying to work back on your grandmother Mary's line through her ancestry?

This looks a possible entry for her parents in the 1901 census - everyone showing as born in Glasgow:

Samuel T Horsburgh 24, Packer In Biscuit Factory
Janet Horsburgh 26
Susan Horsburgh 4
Isabella Horsburgh 3
John Horsburgh 1
Agnes Neilson 19, visitor

Address: 81 Cumberland St, Calton Glasgow

Possible marriage for parents Samuel Horsburgh and Janet Neilson in 1896 in Glasgow.

Was the surname Speirs your grandmother's married name?

Monica

Offline poppy57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 September 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks for your email.  Yes, this is the same family.  I have managed to get all that info so far.  My grandmother's married name was Spiers.  She was married to Tom Spiers.

Interesting getting feedback so quickly.  Are you related via the Horsburgh family?

Regards

Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 September 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy

No, I'm not related, just helping out with searches  :)

Are you trying to work back from Samuel and Janet or work forward through to their children and descendents (always harder given the period you are entering through the 1900s!).

Monica

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 September 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I cannot help you with the English, as our Horsburgh are from aound cellandyke and Fife in Scotland.

I am still looking for details about James Horsburgh who married Isobel Anderson around early 1800, as i have a James Horsburgh who was their son born in about 1806.

Regards

Peter

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 September 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I cannot help you with the English, as our Horsburgh are from aound cellandyke and Fife in Scotland.

I am still looking for details about James Horsburgh who married Isobel Anderson around early 1800, as i have a James Horsburgh who was their son born in about 1806.

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter. This conversation should really be on the Fife thread. Maybe the moderator will move us?

To find the marriage of James Horsburgh and Isobel Anderson on Scotlandspeople, as ever, you have to get the spellings just right, and in this case it is "Jas. Horsburgh" and "Isabel Anderson". They were married in Crail, Fife, on 17th February 1805. However, you just get those bare facts, no more, from the OPR.

By 1841 James and "Isabella" were living in Cellardyke, aged 58 and 57, and James was a "ship's carpenter". Living with them was their daughter Agnes, a dressmaker.

Later, their son James Horsburgh, a fishcurer employing several men, lived there with his wife Eliza Nicol, daughter of the teacher and land-surveyor James Nicol, a native of Leuchars. I've held in my hand, in the National Archives of Scotland, a beautiful map of the May Island with watercolour illustrations drawn up by James Nicol as part of his testimony to the inquiry into the May Island disaster of 1837, when a pleasure-trip in local fishing boats ended in several women and children being drowned.

James Horsburgh junior observed the local youth playing down the seaside on the Sabbath day from the window of that house and decided to start a Sunday-school for them there. I have plenty of happy memories of that house myself - later numbered and named 17-21 James Street - as it later belonged to my grandparents William Watson and Jessie Horsburgh Cunningham, and I visited the house most days of my early life until the age of 12 when my granny died and it was sold to some distant relatives called Gardner.

Incidentally, don't be misled by the Horsburgh in my granny's name. She was called after a granny from Pittenweem. However, the Pittenweem Horsburghs can be traced back to a Horsburgh who was a shoemaker in Elie, about five miles west of Cellardyke, and those Horsburghs are supposed to have been related to a Horsburgh family of shoemakers in Crail, four miles to the east of Cellardyke!

If you'd like to continue this conversation in private, send me your email address in a private message. I am aware of living descendants of some of these Horsburghs.

Harry D. Watson
(author of "Kilrenny and Cellardyke: 800 Years of History" (John Donald, 1986).