Author Topic: cluskey/Moore  (Read 7667 times)

Offline seymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
cluskey/Moore
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello from sunny Western Australia.
I would appreciate any suggestions re my research into Catherine Cluskey.
Catherine was the sister of my Grandfather Peter Moore. Parents were Patrick Moore and Catherine Segrave who married in 1864.
I have found the record of Peter's birth in 1865, along with 2 of his brothers, but I cannot track down the birth of Catherine. The parents of Peter did relocate to Belfast prior to 1891 so whether Catherine was born in that region I do not know.
Catherine Moore and Patrick Cluskey were the baptism sponsors for my Uncle George Patrick Moore born in Dublin (Parents Peter Moore and Mary Becton) in 1902. My Uncle died in 1999 (aged 94) and always believed his godparents married and ran a drapery shop in Drogheda.
In the early 1920' their was an ad in the 'News of the World' newspaper requesting the whereabouts of Peter Moore who was the recipient of the proceeds of Catherine's will).
My uncle saw the ad (of which I have a copy), rang the Drogheda solicitors to see what it was about so I feel he would have been correct with his information.
However, I have searched records for some reference to the will, spoken with the law firm, but without success.

I have failed in my constant searching to turn up any record of Catherine Moore or Cluskey. I have looked at the 1911 census but nothing.

Being such a long way from Drogheda I do not know which way to go from here. This has been an 8 year search.

I do know that Peter Moore was raised by an uncle in Moorechurch, Julienstown. The Uncle died in a farming accident (don't know who the uncle was). He joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police in 1865 with a recommendation from Major Pepper.

Any contribution would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Seymor 

Report to moderator

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Re: cluskey/Moore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Seymor

Moorechurch is in Julianstown, County Meath:

http://www.julianstown.com/townlands.htm

Do you need anymore info about Moorechurch ?... just let me know and I'll try to help.  Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline seymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 06 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
You are being so helpful, thank you.

My Grandfather, Peter Moore, lived in MooreChurch when he joined the Dublin Metropolitan Police on the recommendation of a Major Pepper..

I was wondering if this area of Moorechurch is a farming community and would this Major Pepper have owned the land they worked on.

The page you gave me mentions Moorechurch but there is no information on it.

Any information would be wonderful.

Kindest regards
Seymor

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Seymor

I googled and got this about Moorechurch - it mentions a Pepper Esq:

"MOORECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Balbriggan, on the mail-coach road from Dublin to Belfast; containing 1009 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4860 statute acres, of which 4562 1/4 are applotted under the tithe act; two-thirds of the land are arable, and one-third pasture, and about 56 acres are woods and plantations. Agriculture has greatly improved; the land in the eastern part of the parish is of very superior quality, and noted for the neatness of the hedgerows. Near Dardistown is a good flour and corn-mill; and in the vicinity is a small tuck-mill. The principal seats are Dardistown Castle, the residence of H. Osborne, Esq.; Mosney House, of G. Pepper, Esq.; Claremount, of B. Clare, Esq.; Moorechurch, of G. Yates, Esq.; and Claristown, of Jas. Ennis, Esq. The coast is here a broad shallow strand, in view of which are the Cargee rocks, off the Dublin coast, dry at half-tide, and on which a beacon is fixed. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Julianstown; the rectory is impropriate in George Pepper, Esq. The tithes amount to £550, of which £450 is payable to the impropriator, and £100 to the vicar; the glebe comprises 9 1/2 acres, valued at £28. 18. 6. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Stamullen; there is a neat chapel at Sarsfieldstown; where also are remains of an ancient stone cross. Ruins of the old church exist; and in the burial-ground is a tomb-stone to the memory of Jane Sarsfield, Dowager Baroness of Dunsaney, who died in 1597."

From website:  http://www.booksulster.com/library/topog/m2.php

Also, on the Griffiths Valuation Ireland 1855 (http://failteromhat.com/griffiths/meath/moorechurch.htm - there is reference to both a George and a Thomas Pepper of Moorechurch ... - wonder could either be your Major Pepper?..theres also a John Moore listed - I wonder if any relation?

Would you consider posting a message on www.julianstown.com?  It might be worth a shot, Julianstown is relatively small and Moorechurch must be a very small place, I've never heard of it until you posted!!  If I find out anything more about Moorechurch, I'll let you know.

Sorry, this probably didn't help! I'm trying!! best wishes, Karen
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline seymor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 06 02:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Karen

That information is wonderful. I have never had any success find anything when I have searched so well done.

My Grandfather was the son of Patrick Moore and Catherine Segrave and I suspect the uncle my Grandfather lived with was perhaps on the Segrave side of the family, but of course that is purely guess work.

I certainly will post on the site you recommended and I truly thank you for your trouble. It is very much appreciated.

When you are trying to research from so far away it is very difficult.

Once again my deepest thanks.

Seymor

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Seymor

Seemingly the Pepper family occupied a Ballygarth Castle at one point ..... Pepper descendants are querying the castle on the Julianstown.com website:
http://www.julianstown.com/2005/12/question-about-ballygarth-castle.html.  Perhaps, if you contact them, they might be helpful to you, perhaps, may have a record of whom you are researching - perhaps they worked for the Peppers ... hey, its a long shot, but worth a shot. 

I'm pretty much a beginner at this ..... so am glad I helped you a little.. Please let me know how you get on and if you get any replies....

Happy Easter, best wishes, Karen
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline dianehutson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 05:58 BST (UK) »
HI
I JUST STARTED MY CLUSKEY RESEARCH AND A CATHERINE CLUSKEY/CLUSKY WED 1857 IN BISHOP AUCKLAND CO DURHAM ENG TO JOHN CAREY.
STATED ON CENSUS SHE WAS MARRIED IN 1851 CENSUS .SO WHO HUSBAND WAS ?.AND WHEN HE DIED ?.NOR CATHERINES MAIDEN NAME?.
SHE WAS LIVING WITH PATRICK CLUSKY AND FAMILY .WERE ALL FROM IRELAND AND ARR ENG 1847.
LADY IN USA DOING CLUSKEY RESEARCH.
I LIVED QUEENSLAND.
PUT IN CATHERINE CLUSKEY ON ROOTS CHAT COME UP WITH LADIES REQUEST.

Offline finians

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
D'Altons book of Drogheda published in 1844 mentions the Peppers.  It says that Ben-Head was the seat of the Pepper family of Mosney and that prior to the confiscations of 1641 this was the estate of the Nettervilles and was granted by Charles the Second to Captain George Pepper whose descendent Colonel Pepper was the current inheritor.  No information about your family but this may help you with regards to dates.

Good Luck,
Wendy
Curran, McVeigh, Cunningham, Sillery, Martin, Bannon, Cassidy, Cruise, Tracey, Whelan

Concentrated in the Drogheda area and in both Louth and Meath

Offline avajane1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 April 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi seymor look up the genealogy assistance group Ireland on Facebook they will do as much as they can and its all free also there is a new face book group called Louth genealogy group they will also help and its free. Also Moore church is located between Julianstown and a place called Stamullen. A further note is that their is a Peter Moore living in bellewstown Co. Meath which is about 3 miles from Stamullen.He was a bank manager in Drogheda for many years so you should be able to look him up on the net. He maybe a relation as people tended to stick with the same Christian names. Also Peter Moore the bank Managers sister is living in Lunderstown Duleek again only a few miles away and her married name is Moss