Author Topic: COMPLETED Canty Museum, Macdonald Biographies  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Canty Museum, Macdonald Biographies
« on: Monday 10 April 06 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
The Macdonald Dictionary of Canterbury Biographies, held at the Canterbury Museum, Christchurch, has a listing for my forebear, Peter Fawcett. From it I quote: The Rev. J T C Fawcett of Keldwide(sic) Vicarage, Shipton, Yorks wrote to the Canty Assoc about his nephew (Turnbull Lib).

The Canty Museum has no more information about this letter, and the Alexander Turnbull Library has found no reference to either of these Fawcett's.

Can anyone suggest where to look for this letter?

Through the help of Rootschat on the Yorkshire board I have found the Rev John Turner Colman Fawcett at Kildwick Vicarage, Shipton.

Regards,
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canty Museum, Macdonald Biographies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

[/i]The Rev. J T C Fawcett of Keldwide(sic) Vicarage, Shipton, Yorks wrote to the Canty Assoc about his nephew (Turnbull Lib).

The mention of "Turnbull Lib" suggests that the original correspondance may be held at the Alexander Turnbull Library, more succinctly known as 'Turnbull Library', or 'ATL', now part of the NZ National Library in Wellington NZ.

Try this URL to search for documents which may mention Rev Fawcett, or google Alexander Turnbull Library for contact details.
http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/spydus/MSG/ARCHIVESNR/MNRMENU.HTM

Regards, riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 05:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Riley,

I have contacted the Turnbull Library, and they tell me they have no reference to either of these men.
I wonder if the Turnbull Library still has boxes that they have not yet catalogued - just like I have ;D
G R Macdonald must have seen either the letter, or a reference to it when he was compiling his biographies.  It must be somewhere - hopefully.
Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

A lot of material for the MacDonald Biographies were compiled by G.R Macdonald perusing the local newspaper, he put all the references at the bottom, there may be something in the newspaper, as well, that refers to the items in question. 

The Christchurch Library has a Librarian on line and she may be able to help or point you in another direction.

Just a thought.

Regards,
kiwi

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Riley and Kiwi,

Kiwi, thank you for the note re the Macdonald references at the bottom of the page, but in this instance he has only put Turnbull Lib Canty assoc papers with no date.
So today I went to the NZ Room at the Ch Ch Public Library. We found a reference to Peter Fawcett in the Turnbull Library Fiche, so an email is off to them again.

Also, I have now found that the Canterbury Association Papers are scattered throughout NZ: the Turnbull Library, the Canterbury Museum, and the Anglican Church Archives at Church House here in Christchurch.

So, I have another two options to follow up.

Thank you both for your interest.
Regards
Jean

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

That's news to me, anyway. I thought all the Canterbury Association papers would be held at Canterbury Museum.

Please let us know how you get on, won't you? It would be good to know what papers are held where.

Regards, riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL