Author Topic: Dromoland / Kilnasoolagh REYNOLDS  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dromoland / Kilnasoolagh REYNOLDS
« on: Monday 10 April 06 04:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on an early ancestor. 

STEPHEN REYNOLDS.

His headstone states that he is native to Dromoland which is in Kilnasoolagh.  He came to Australia in late 1855. 

In the 1855 Griffith's Valuation there is a Stephen Reynolds in Rathfolan which is also in Kilnasoolagh.

Is there any more information that one can get on the Griffith's Valuation and does anyone do lookups for Kilnasoolagh Parish Records which may list a birth for my Stephen c1805.  His father's name is Patrick Reynolds.

Many thanks,

Paula
Australia

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dromoland / Kilnasoolagh REYNOLDS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
H
Do you know which religion Stephen belonged to?   Kilnasoolagh Church of Ireland records are available for the following years:-
Births 1731-1829, Marriages 1746 onwards and Deaths 1739-1829
If this was Stephen's church, it will probably show the names of his parents at his baptism and you may also discover if there were other siblings.  You may also see an address.
Good Luck

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi LH

He is buried in the Roman Catholic section of the cemetry, and according to his shipping records, he was married to his wife Ann Carmody approx 1853.  HIs father is listed as Patrick.  If you can advise where I may be able to search the records I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I could have provided information on C-o-I records in Kilnasoolagh as I bought the Parish Book a few years back.  Unfortunately I don't know anything on R.C. records.
However, I looked on www.clarelibrary.ie and then went to Genealogy - where I found the following:-
Civil Parish: Kilnasoolagh
RC Parish: Newmarket
Diocese:KL
Earliest Record: b.4.1828; m. 1.1828
Parish Address: The Parish Priest, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare
It would be worth your while writing to the Parish Priest (or e-mailing) and see if he has the old registers.
Cheers
L

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi L,

Many thanks,  will give them a try.

Many thanks for your help.

Paula

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Another snippet - were you aware that the Reynolds had been in Kilkerin, Kilnasoolagh back as far as 1825 and possibly farther back.  They are mentioned in the Tithe Applotment Books in 1825.

Again, you can check these out by going to www.clarelibrary.ie and then to Genealogy.  From the list shown - there are two for the Tithe Applotments - one a list by names ... and the other by Parishes.  You'll see two separate Reynolds in Kilnasoolagh at that time!

L

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Still rooting through www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - second option on the list shows "1841/1851 Census Search Forms" which throws up two options.  Looking at "Applicant's Mother's Maiden Name" you will see a Bridget Reynolds of Inchiquin (Dromoland)! 

L

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi L.

Wow thanks for all of the info, unfortunately, not knowing which towns are nearby and what material is what I have no idea of what I am looking for or at.  I did send an email to the parish but as yet have no reply (as it is only early there right now).  Inchiquin you show as being also known as Dromoland, is that correct?  Should I also try and find information under that name?  The only information I had in my initial search was the Griffith Valuation which may have listed both Stephen and his father Patrick.  Now knowing his mother's name I do not know of any siblings so therefore cannot link other family members.

Any assistance whether by suggestions or lookups would be so wonderful.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Kindest regards,
Paula

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wait for the reply from the Parish Priest.  If that comes back and gives some information, you may be able to put the pieces together.

I've been to Dromoland Castle, seat of Lord Inchiquin and my grandfather worked on that estate.  When next in Ireland you might like to visit - its a beautiful place.

Keep a close eye on the years/dates in question as Bridget may be a sister to Patrick instead of a daughter to him!

Let me know how you get on.

L