Author Topic: Looking for Chilton's  (Read 12178 times)

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for Chilton's
« on: Tuesday 11 April 06 05:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please with Parish records, Census, Court records or Family of:-
Thomas Chilton born c1809
Convicted in the Salop Assizes 21 March 1835 for Highway Robbery age 26.
Occupation Farm Labourer & Sweep.
Usual place (?residence) Much Wenlock.
Prison ?
Hulk ?
Any help at all is greatly appreciated,
EddieW :)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Chiton's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi EddieW, :)

Nearest  I can find is from the Munslow par registers,

01 Jun 1806 Thomas Millichope & Hester, base children of Sarah Chilton [Clinton erased].  :o

could be he adopted his mothers name,

Best wishes,
Pete.

ps my ggg grandfather on the 51 census Cound, Shropshire had a Millichope as a neighbour, :)

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Chilton's
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 03:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pete
I will see if i can find some more info on him.
Lots of info about them when they get to Australia but their past always seems a mystery.
There is a family in the IGI in Little Wenlock  that fits the dates but it is only a maybe until i find a deffinate link.
Cheers
EddieW  :)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Eddie

Try the Shropshire Archives http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

The staff are extremely helpful, and do respond quickly to email and telephone enquiries.

Or..... I can do look ups at the Archives but at the moment have a huge list to do, and I won't be able to get there until next week.    If you don't mind the wait then I can look up the information for you ;)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 06 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
Thanks for the reply and kind offer.
I have just tried the site you mentioned and downloaded the parish records but only got a list of towns and records they have and could not open the actual record itself.
If Thomas Chilton was actually from Much Wenlock his birth or christening should be in  Much Wenlock CB 1755-1812 (92-112).
I could not find any Assizes records or Convict records, maybe they don't have those.
I have found that Patience is a virtue in Genealogy, so if you have time one day you are in there even next month that will be great.
Regards
EddieW :)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi EddieW

The Shropshire Archives do have Assizes/Convict records of sorts (I can't remember what they called them now!!!!) - I only know this because I've got to do a similar look up for another Rootschat member.

I have added your request to my list, so please bear with me and watch this space..............

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 06 23:52 BST (UK) »

Hello Eddie

Are you sitting down?  I hope so because I went to the Shropshire Arichves today and found this about your Thomas Chilton:

Shropshire Lent Assizes, March 21st 1835

Calendar of the Criminal Prisoners

1.  Thomas Chilton, aged 23 a Chimney Sweep
2.  George Taylor, aged 24, a Labourer Town and Liberties of Wenlock

"Robbing John Evans on the night of 31st July 1834 on the highway of the parish of Much Wenlock of about nine shillings ??? committed on 24th August 1834 by Edward Talbot, Clerk.  Re-committed 18th October 184 by William Bates, Clerk

Judgement of Death Recorded"

He is also listed under "Convicts Under Sentence" with George.  Both Judgement of Death Recorded.

What do you think of that then?!!!!!

Jan

Offline EddieW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 June 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jan thats fantastic and very much appreciated ;D.
His records from Tasmania just say Highway Robbery.
It seems a bit extreme to get the death sentence for nine shillings even in those days but maybe it was with violence or a weapon. Most sentences seem to be commuted to life and transportation to the Colonies.
Also on the records was Usual Place, Much Wenlock but that could be just were he was living and not were he was born as i first thought.
This has narrowed his birth date down a bit more but still no parents. Sometimes there were letters sent to the courts for compasion so i may have to look for something like that.
I have two Thomas Chilton's around the time from the IGI, not that the IGI is perfect.
Thomas Chilton chr 21 Jul 1811 Dawley Magna and Thomas Chilton chr 27 Dec 1812 Preston-On-The-Weald but the search goes on.
If you have any suggestions how i might find a definite link to his parents please let me know.
Regards
EddieW

Offline maz1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 06 21:21 BST (UK) »
hi Eddie
I know my Thomas Chilton isnt the same as yours but I was wondering if you had ever come across this one in your travells?

Thomas Chilton b 9 Jun 1804 Saint Mary, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
married Ellen ?
Parents William and Mary

Would love to know more if you have come across them.
Sounds like you've hit a jackpot with your Thomas - very interesting reading.
Thanks
Good luck with your research.
all the best
Marian