Author Topic: Totteridge School (1871)  (Read 4834 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
Totteridge School (1871)
« on: Wednesday 12 April 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise as to what type of pupil attended Totteridge School? Or where I could find information.
I think I have found my Great Uncle, William Johnston, there in the 1871 Census.
 As he was the son of a deceased Soldier, I was wondering whether the school had any military connections. In 1881 he was in the 2nd Btn Scots Guards.
Thanks,
Bob in Oz.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Totteridge School (1871)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
Probably completely the wrong place but the only one that I could find was St Edwards School  Totteridge which was a Catholic school for poor children run by the Sisters of Mercy.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 06 22:16 BST (UK) »
My second attempt was a bit more successful.  I found a number of boys who went to Totteridge School who went on to Oxford University, Magdalen Hall. (Now Hertford College)

It would appear to be a boys boarding school for sons of the gentry which could well have been used by Officers serving abroad although the few associations that I found were with sons of the clergy.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 06 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Many thanks for looking.
If it was a school for the gentry, officers and the clergy, I shouldn't think the son of a deceased Sergeant would apply.
Just have to keep it on file for now.
Cheers,
Bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I know this correspondence was over ten years ago but I was very interested in the references to Totteridge School (1871)

I am researching the history of Wiliam Henry Jones who probably attended the school, and went on to Magdalen Hall, via King's College London

I would be very grateful for any information on the this school, and where any archives may be found

Very many thanks

historyanne

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Magdalen hall was renamed to its original name of Hertford College when it became a college of the University of Oxford in 1873 as Magdalen College had already existed for many years The history of the school should be found at the college.  I do however wonder why anyone should transfer from Kings College school now located in Wimbledon to another school in Oxford.  Are you confusing the schools with university colleges of the same name?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
No, I am not confusing colleges or schools.

Posted on behalf of historyanne - welcome to RootsChat :)

The person I am researching attended a ‘private school at Totteridge’ in the late 1820’s/30’s before being one of the first pupils at King’s College which had opened on The Strand.  He then went on to Magdalen Hall, Oxford, graduating with his BA in 1841.         He then took Holy Orders.

I had hoped that someone might answer my question and give me some clue as to where the archives of Totteridge School may be found.

Anne the "blue reply button" is just below the last response on the topic, I hope that you can now see it. Regards Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline historyanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
No, I am not confusing colleges or schools. 

The person I am researching attended a ‘private school at Totteridge’ in the late 1820’s/30’s before becoming one of the first pupils at King’s College which had opened on The Strand in 1831.  He then went on to Magdalen Hall, Oxford, graduating with his BA in 1841.  He then took Holy Orders.

I had hoped that someone might answer my question and give me some clue as to where the archives of Totteridge School may be found.

Offline amyfitzpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

There used to be a school in Hertfordshire named Totteridge Park School which, according to the 1861 census, had a lot of boarding pupils. Could this be the school you're referring to?

It is currently known as Dorset House School and its website can be found here: http://www.dorsethouseschool.com/history.html

I think that if any pupil records for this school do exist, they'll most likely be with the school so might be worth getting into contact with them.
Fitzpatrick and Dowling, Waterford (Ireland)