Author Topic: How do I find them?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
How do I find them?
« on: Wednesday 12 April 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
I have just had a phone call from a newly found 2nd cousin of hubby's who has told me a bit of the family history.

Hubby's Grandad was the eldest of 11 and he was Peter James Burns b 1876 Ford, Northumberland, UK. His parents were Hugh Burns b 1856 Kelso, Scotland and Jane Horsburgh b 1851 Berwick, Scotland.

Now according to David, new cousin, three of the youngest children were taken over to Canada by an elderly aunt when their mother died though I don't have a year for her death. Her husband died in 1933 but I think she must have died before then Possibly between 1901 and 1930 though I cannot see it being that late as they would not have been children then. So I would say between 1901 and 1910

The Aunt must have been a Horsburgh as Hugh was an only child to his parents but did have three half brothers with the surname Wallace.

The youngest 5 children are:

David Alexander Burns b 1892 - we know he stayed in UK as David (new cousin) is his Grandson

James Burns b 1891 possibly Kylo, Northumberland

Robert Burns b 1889 - we know he also stayed in UK as I have found his descendants

George Burns b 1888 Northumberland

Agnes Burns b 1887 Ford, Northumberland

The three names in bold are the ones we cannot account for and cannot find them anywhere.

The questions I would like answering are

1. How would I find out when they were sent to Canada?

2. Would passenger lists have them listed with their Aunt or separately?

3. How do I go about searching for them in Canada ?

I hope someone out there will be able to help me in some way

Thanks in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find them?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
There was also another bit about two of the brothers. One of them who stayed over here was posted to the Kyber Pass( Afghan Border)  during the WW1 and while there he met with his brother who had been taken to Canada.

Would that help in any way to find out which regiment would have been sent over there at that time?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

All Canadian soldiers who fought in WWI are in this database: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

I took a quick look for James or George and didn't see them, but there are a few dozen of each name, so a closer look is required.  The initial database search will give you names and date of birth, but if you click on the entry it will take you to another page where you can see an image of their enlistment papers.  These give place of birth and next-of-kin.  There's a few guys by those names that don't have records - I think this means that there are no enlistment papers in the file.  But the Archives would still have a file with other docs in it.  You can order copies of any of the soldiers files for a reasonable photocopy cost. 

Also, you can search the 1901 and 1911 Canadian census here: http://automatedgenealogy.com

The 1901 is complete, but the 1911 is still being transcribed by volunteers, so not yet complete. 

Ships lists are a tricky matter.  The National Archives does have them on microfilm, in chronological order, from about 1865.  Unfortunately there is no index, so unless you are pretty confident about the date of arrival this is a fruitless search.  If you find them on the census it should give you a year of immigration. 

If you find them, please let us know and we can direct you to some more resources depending on where in Canada they lived..

Happy hunting!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Any idea what the Aunt's first name could have been?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
If she's a Horsburgh she could be

1. Elizabeth b 1860. She had a son named Alexander b 1878 but she never married that I know of.

OR

2. Anne b1853 though she married a man named Hutchison

OR

3. It could have been one of Hugh's Halfbrother's wives. Theonly one I know of in the Northumberland area would have been Eleanor Wallace nee Thirlwell b 1840. She was married to William b 1846 and they had no children by 1901.

That is all the info I have about Aunties and they seem to be the eldest that I can find and David's Auntie did say that it was an elderly aunt.

Carol

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the website and help MJP

This is going to be one heck of a challenge for me but I am always saying I enjoy a challenge.

I did find the website for the children who were taken over to Canada by the authorities. I typed in Burns and then tried looking for James and George but there were so many. They also lied about their dates of birth so they could enlist and I am wondering if the dates are correct so have saved to file a lot of them that are around the years I have for them (+/- 5years) I will have a look at them later

I am now going to tryt he census etc and see what I can find and will let you know

Thanks again

Carol