Author Topic: SLESSOR  (Read 43554 times)

Offline milto1384

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SLESSOR
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 07 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just recently found out that I have slessors in my family tree. I was hoping someone might know further details about this family, particularly family further back in time?

Janet Slessor married John Baird on 23/6/1771 and lived in Peterhead.

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate some guidance.

Regards,

Alan

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 10:49 BST (UK) »

Margaret Slessor married my GGGGgandfather George Warrander July 1793 in Old Deer.  Their children lived in Longside. Margaret's parents were George & Janet (nee Jelly) Slessor.  Is this of any relevance to you?
Regards
Karen

Hi Karen,

We appear to be connected!! Margaret Slessor and George Warrander are my GGGGG grandparents too! :D

My connection is through the Warranders. What about you?

Regards

KBG

p.s. apologies if i have contacted you re this before but had major computer problems and lost lots.
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown
Lincolnshire: Chilcott, Barratt, Robinson, Twidale, Beacock

Offline ginalawrie10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have a Christian Slessor, b.a.1825,Cruden, she had an illagitimate son named George Esslemont b.a.1854,Cruden.  who was my Gt.Grandfather.  Christian went on to marry John Cruikshank.   Her parents were Alexander Slessor and Jane Gray.

Offline ginalawrie10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
I am researching Slessors from the Aberdeenshire area,i have Slessors in Longside,Tyrie,Rathen and Fraserburgh.

My Gt.Grandad George Esslemont was the illigitamate son of Christian Slessor,she was born about 1825, Cruden, her parents were Alexander Slessor and Jane Gray.

Offline billsless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 March 09 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I am a Slessor. My father was born and educated in Aberdeen. His mother was a Rose (Rosie) Slessor but his father is unknown and he kept his mother's surname. I now live in Yorkshire. I do have a family tree going back to the 1600 but only a couple of generations on my father's side.
I would be glad to hear from anyone interested.

Offline billsless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
Steve. I got your Private Message yesterday but I cannot find anyway. other than this, to reply to you.
I used GenesReunited to create and add to my tree. If you use that site you could send me a message and I will be able to make my tree available to you.
I hope you get this message.

Bill Slessor

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
found only one birth

SLESSOR     Jean Robb   

Christ.   28 Mar 1858    at    Cruden     Aberdeen, Scotland
   Fath   James SLESSOR
   Moth   Christian DANIEL

audrey

I suspect that these people might be linked to my tree, but through Christian Daniel's family. If anyone has any more on James and Christian, I'd love to know it.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline mac_the_dog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Just joined this forum and would be willing to share what info I have about my slessor family tree.

I will give a summary of my tree -

My Great Grandfather  Robert m. Mary Ann Harvey 13/06/1885 Robert had 4 brothers and 6 sisters lived in Peterhead
My GG Grandmother Mary Ann - never married -  2 brothers and 2 sisters - lived in Peterhead
My GGG Grandfather Robert m. Ann Davidson - Robert had 5 brothers and 2 sisters
My GGGG Grandfather Alexander m. Jean (Jane) Gray 02/04/1814 2 sisters living in Cruden
My GGGGG Grandfather Robert m. Elizabeth Buchan 03/12/1785 i brother living in Cruden
My GGGGGG Grandfather ? William m. Margaret Rainey in Cruden

I can go into quite a bit of detail aslong as it is related to my tree and related siblings. Am happy to share as much info as I can and hopefully learn a bit more about my tree.

Mac 

Peterhead and Cruden, Scotland
Robert Slessor (m. 1785)
Alexander Slessor (1789 - 1872)
Robert Slessor (d.1909)
Mary Ann Slessor (d. 1896)
Robert Slessor (1865 - 1932)

Offline billsless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 September 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
I see all these records of Slessors around Cruden Bay and the area but would love to find someone with records of Rosie Slessor b 1897 in Aberdeen. She married a George Crammond b c1890. Or her father Andrew b 1849 in Old Deer, Aberdeen who married Mary Dunbar b 1858 in Laurencekirk.
Rosie gave birth to my father but his father was an unknown Canadian. She had a number of siblings, maybe six or seven including John, William, Laurence.

I believe the Slessors initially arrived in Scotland from Germany and became part of the Clan Gordon but my knowledge of my Scottish forefathers ends there and I would love to be able to fill in more details.

There are a number of famous Slessors besides Mary. There was an Air-Chief Marshal of the RAF, a Managing Director of Harrod's store in London, a BBC Producer and Australia has a famous poet with the name. Any more?