Author Topic: 1841 census lookup  (Read 1322 times)

Offline jimc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup
« on: Thursday 13 April 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a George Grist, b. 1806, Hemington, Somerset. His parents were deceased before 1841. Siblings were Joanna, John, Joyce, and Susanna.

Thanks,
Jim
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim. I can see lots of Grist's in Hemington but alas not this chap. There is a John aged 25, a coalman lodging by looks of it, no Joanna or Joyce and the only Susanna is 11. Elsewhere there is a George 36 b pout of county in Bedminster, a George aged 30 in Stanton Drew, one 27 in Kilmersdon and a George 26 in Frome. Thats it for adult Georges in Somerset. Any more clues? As you know with the limited information in 1841 if they are not where we expect them to be it can be difficult to locate them. I was actually surprised with a name like Grist just how many are about....Kris  :D

Offline jimc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 06 01:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Kris,

You are correct that there are a number of Grists in Hemington. The ones I have been looking for are a bit elusive and details few. Two daughters had children out of wedlock then seem to disappear. I wish I could give you more details but I'm afraid that's about all I can provide.

Thanks for your efforts.

Jim

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
I'm descended from the Hemington Grists, and have a George Grist, christened 9th March 1806, amongst the cousins in the family tree of my Grist ancestors (my direct ancestor was his Uncle, another George). I can traced his ancestors back a futher 8 generations, if you're still interested in finding out more.
regards
Andrew