Author Topic: Parish of St George, Manchester  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Pippakit

• RootsChat Member
  • Mary Jane Brewer with Gwendoline 1897
    • View Profile
Parish of St George, Manchester
« on: Saturday 15 April 06 02:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me which part of Manchester, the parish of St George covered in the 1800s? I have 2 street names which I think are in this area, Worsley Street and Osborne Street, does that help?

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of St George, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 06 08:13 BST (UK) »
HI ther, it wasnt St Georges church in Abbey Hey Gorton was it.
bye for now Michael
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline Pippakit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
I think it might have been the Collyhurst/Ancoats/Ardwick type area. I don't know Manchester too well, so I'm not sure if this is right. I know there was a St Georges church off Oldham Road, but I don't know if that was classed as St Georges Parish. There is also a reference to St Georges in the Field. Is this the same church/area? Is Gorton in this area?

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pippa kit
You could look on the  following site:
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls/registers/index.htm
this should give you some insight to the churches in the Manchester area.
Hope you find what you want.
Regards Ericx
Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pippa kit, i did a search on google and found St George Parish churches at stalybridge, Salford , Bolton. St George in Gorton is no where near Ardwick sorry, I have ancestors from That area too
hope this helps , i,ll keep trying
bfn Michael
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pippa kit, i had another look on google.
I found St Georges 42 Worsley street Manchester, havent found where yet though , I think it is in the Salford area though.
bfn Michael :)
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 06 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Pippa kit,

I am just wondering whether you are really looking for the Parish of St. George, or are you confusing that with the Sub-registration District of St George?

The Registration District of Manchester is further divided into 3 Sub-registration Districts:

Ancoats
Central
St. George

When you buy a certificate from the General Registrar's Office, this is clearly written at the top of the Certificate.

When you buy a certificate from the Local Office, it does not always seem to be written.

We often hear of the flood-damaged Census returns for Manchester, and they usually refer to the area of St. George. In that case, it is the Sub-registration District of St. George that people are talking about.

I hope that helps you a little,

UKgirl

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 06 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pippa kit

This is a section of a map from 1893 showing the 2 streets you our looking for. The only reference I can find to St Georges ward was from an 1848 map on www.old-maps.co.uk this put them both in the Miles Platting area of Manchester.

Worsley street has gone but part of Osbourne street can still be seen today but I dont know what it looks like.

This site http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/ will give you one not very good image of Osbourne street and some "but not sure they are the right street" of Worsley street.

Send me a PM if you would like and enlarged copy of this map, but please note you will need broadband as it is 12 meg in size.

If I get time I will have a look at Osbourne street and let you know 

:( Sorry cannot upload map - I will contact admin and get it sorted )  :(
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Pippakit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
The information I am working on is firstly on the following burial record:
 The entry in the parish records states that ‘she was of 49 Osborne Street, Parish of St George, Manchester, died at Bebington’.
And secondly a marriage certificate where the couple were married at the Church of St George in the City of Manchester, their address being 51 Worsley Street. As this was the daughter of the above lady, I assume they are the same area or the same St George.
I have also done a search for Worsley Street on the 1901 census and there appears to be a Worsley Street in the Ecclesiastical district of St George, Hulme, South Manchester and one in the Ecclesiastical district of St George in the Field, North Manchester. As the first street seems to be  mainly industrial type buildings and the second one consists of house numbers, I'm very confused! As my family had left Worsley Street by 1901, I can't discover which Worsley Street they lived in.
I have looked at the pictures of Worsley Street on the link you sent Kenhar, and they appear to be from different streets. As some of them mention Somerset Place, Worsley Street, would this be a clue? Where is/was Somerset Place?